Cross bracing ideas for carport/shop ???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMG_4795.jpeg
IMG_4797.jpeg
IMG_4798.jpeg
Sunday one of my boys helped me get metal on the other 1/2 roof. Ran out of screws

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Awesome pics, and great progress!
Looking good....

BUT - I have concerns about the legs.
I know you welded the pipes to the bottom of the truss so that it'd be taller. (Who wouldn't want a taller shop) But I'm concerned about the pipes.

In short, you have a tall rigid structure (truss system) put on top of small pipes. Any lateral wind load will try to flex the shop - and the pipes (and welds) are what will flex the most. Over years it may fatigue the pipes/welds.

I'm not a shop builder, so I don't know what's generally acceptable for shops this size. Thoughts?

It'll probably be fine, just my passing thoughts.

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you're concerned about rigidity (X-bracing) - you can move the shipping containers adjacent (against) the shop walls and weld brackets to attach the containers to the shop.
The containers would provide some lateral/perpendicular rigidity to the building assembly.

If you do this, you could also pour concrete piers and attach the containers to the piers. ...for added foundation strength.

Last edited:

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My apologies. Too many suggestions.
I'll be quiet now.

This is your thread/project.
It's looking good!
I wish I had a shop like that.
Congrats!

Last edited:

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@-Pjackso i am ok with any thoughts, suggestions or insight. No problems here.
I used the 2 7/8 drill stem with 1/4" wall thickness, not the thinner 3/16" pipe.
This was what people that have built these at 10' spans suggested to be used.
I WENT WITH 8' spans so 20% closer than what others are building chicken truss shops and barns.
I Added cross ties and leg supports and "X" bracing in the trusses. Other don't
Granted I am a bit taller than some but I am hoping it will stay together.
I am thinking about tying into some cemented piers.
The containers are where I was told to put them. I'm Not moving them again since I've already moved them a 2nd time

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Awesome pics, and great progress!
Looking good....

BUT - I have concerns about the legs.
I know you welded the pipes to the bottom of the truss so that it'd be taller. (Who wouldn't want a taller shop) But I'm concerned about the pipes.

In short, you have a tall rigid structure (truss system) put on top of small pipes. Any lateral wind load will try to flex the shop - and the pipes (and welds) are what will flex the most. Over years it may fatigue the pipes/welds.

I'm not a shop builder, so I don't know what's generally acceptable for shops this size. Thoughts?

It'll probably be fine, just my passing thoughts.
I am very concerned about the wind and storms we have here and the damage it may cause the structure.
I am thinking of ideas to anchor.
I may temporarilly tie into the nearest container (it weighs 10k lbs)and then pour 6 cement piers and permanently tie in 3 legs on each side of the structure.

Latest posts

Top Bottom