crossbow reccomendations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I want a crossbow and the wife has put me on a limit to be under $400
complete. Bow,quiver,scope, bolts etc

I really want new and am looking at a couple Tenpoints.
Any opinions? whats good, bad, what to run away from?

nobuttbrian

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Screw that guy.tenpoints are good and so are the pse crossbows.just get one using the hunting platform and not target. I bought a used Horton and had to put more money in it for repairs and. Could have bought a new one cheaper. Just get one you like and to he'll with people like the first poster to your question

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Indeed,..screw the troll, he's a douche..!

Only have experience with Parker. Dad bought one and due to us being dumbasses, screwed it up on the second day we had it and had to send it back to factory. They replaced/fixed everything we messed up for no charge in a week or so. Great customer service.

It's the 175lb Buck Buster. Will shoot a 2"-3" group at 40 yards without much effort, really slings them arrows. Is a bit noisy though we've imposed a 30 yard max on it.

I've heard people like 10 pt and Excalibur has a big following with their recurve limbs.

I'd try to keep 150lb pull or above for deer hunting. Practice and you'll soon discover your maximum distance.

They're fun to shoot although a bit more cumbersome than a bow.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe compound bows, particularly in the price range you stated, are generally superior to xbows, but the downside is that they require more practice. If you are willing to commit to a learning curve, you should really try out both. I think you'll go with the compound.

On the other hand, if you want minimal involvement with archery other than just killing the occasional deer, the xbow is probably for you. Don't be surprised when deer jump the string. xbows will get better, but right now the low end ones aren't the greatest. CB

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I believe compound bows, particularly in the price range you stated, are generally superior to xbows, but the downside is that they require more practice. If you are willing to commit to a learning curve, you should really try out both. I think you'll go with the compound.

On the other hand, if you want minimal involvement with archery other than just killing the occasional deer, the xbow is probably for you. Don't be surprised when deer jump the string. xbows will get better, but right now the low end ones aren't the greatest. CB

I've shot compounds the last 30 years and recurves before that. Recently got hurt and cannot hold a bowstring back. I can pull and lift stuff just can't hold it back for long. maybe a new style compound might work I don't know.
my current bows are considered antigues I think.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've shot compounds the last 30 years and recurves before that. Recently got hurt and cannot hold a bowstring back. I can pull and lift stuff just can't hold it back for long. maybe a new style compound might work I don't know.

Hmmm, maybe next time some of you will learn the facts before jumping down somebodies throat.

TenPoints are a good choice. You might look at wicked ridge xbows also. They are made by tenpoint and I believe in your price range.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmmm, maybe next time some of you will learn the facts before jumping down somebodies throat.

TenPoints are a good choice. You might look at wicked ridge xbows also. They are made by tenpoint and I believe in your price range.

If that's directed at me, I don't think I jumped down his throat. If it's directed at the troll, I tend to agree.

Based on his response, I now have information that was not initially offered, and will offer him some more info in a separate post. CB

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I have a PSE that is set at its minimum of 50 pounds, and it's currently about all I can draw because of an illness I am slowly recovering from. Once I get it pulled (not easy right now) it's nearly effortless to hold back.

I think the legal minimum is 40 pounds, and I am told that's enough for close up deer. My bow isn't a parallel, but is about a year too old for that. I believe the letoff is 80%, which means the hold is about ten pounds.

I was of course unaware of your archery history and your current condition (which I hope is temporary). Your fix may indeed be an xbow, and I wish you lots of success in the nice long archery season. I am still trying to fill my archery tag this year. CB

Latest posts

Top Bottom