Crossbow vs. "Manual Bow"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nobuttbrian

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Crossbow, already had the dr. note because of hands and shoulder problems.can't use a compound anymore so it's either a crossbow or no bow hunting.1 advantage a crossbow has over a "manual" is that when it's stupid cold out and you are wearing many layers of clothing there is no worry of the string slapping your arm or trying to use a release with gloves on.
All that said, let's all just go out and enjoy hunting regardless of method.i know many people that feel anything other than a recurve is overkill.that includes all firearms as well.

Tampabucs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Exactly what I'm saying, yep! You can be very very accurate with a regular bow. Having said that, I think shooting from weird positions is precisely where the xbow WILL shine over the regular. But just from a standard standing position, the xbow isn't THAT much more accurate in my hands - at least not at 20. Now at 40, 50, & 60 yards? Sure, it will be due to speed / practical accuracy issues (as I mentioned).

Hey Tampabucs, after further thought, you are quite a bit more 'right' than me on the "shoot a field tip arrow into the dirt" issue - my counterpoints were valid except that I wasn't being creative really. It occurs to me now that I could just carry a beat-up crap arrow of another brand/make than the expensive PSE specialty arrows into the field, of sufficient weight & stiffness to handle being launched from the PSE, and simply replace it and shoot it. If I cannot find it or it breaks, who cares - it's an extra junk arrow. I'm happy about this development, as it eliminates ONE downside for me of the xbow, and I really want to like the xbow. So thank you. :)

No problem, bud. You did make some solid points. There are drawbacks to xbows for sure. Then again, there are drawbacks to about every piece of hunting equipment.

The idea of shooting a cheap arrow into the ground is spot on. It's fun to have a variety of different weapons to hunt with.

two-click

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shoot a xbow ,because of physical conditions,they are cumbersome heavy,slow to re cock,sometimes hard to un cock.True you can shoot an arrow into the ground to release the xbow unless you hunt in rocky area,I take a target with me to shoot my arrow into.If I could still shoot a compound I would,but the xbow allows me to continue to hunt and that is important to me.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The age old question of Xbow versus vertical...

there have been numerous tests and studies done on this one with typically the same results on most. A vertical bow is "more accurate" now that being said a xbow is easier to be accurate with in the average persons hands but a xbow will not out shoot a properly setup bow in a seasoned shooters hands and any distance (look at some 60X guys, 1inch groups at 60 yards). Verical bows also have better penitration, they are quieter (all crossbows are load) and just as fast as most the leading cross bows. Except for that fact that anyone can pick up a xbow put the cross hairs on a deer at 20yrds, less movement and not having to hold the weight back there is nothing that makes them better physically and mechanically! In fact a vertical bow is the better weapon in the right persons hands.

Reaction score
Good points, allout, but a couple of things:

The age old question of Xbow versus vertical...

The question is age old for wartime purposes, etc., but BRAND NEW for Oklahoma hunters. :)

there have been numerous tests and studies done on this one with typically the same results on most. A vertical bow is "more accurate" now that being said a xbow is easier to be accurate with in the average persons hands but a xbow will not out shoot a properly setup bow in a seasoned shooters hands and any distance (look at some 60X guys, 1inch groups at 60 yards).

I think I agree with that - in the right hands, a V-bow is actually MORE accurate than a crossbow. I don't have proof, but your anecdotal evidence of 1 inch groups at 60 by 60x guys is an example - I don't see how you're gonna top that with any crossbow, really. I think at most, they are equally "practically accurate" at longer distances (with the highest quality crossbow). Although the X-bow will be MORE practically-accurate in the novice's and intermediate's hands.

Vertical bows also have better penitration

Ahhh, but wait a sec.... with traditional arrows vs. traditional bolts, yes - but the Tac-15 has a 26.5" arrow, way more than a traditional bolt. It's thicker and *slightly* shorter than than an arrow, but a lot closer - so it will still have less penetration, but not by much. At short ranges, it will probably actually penetrate *more* than an arrow, due to speed.

they are quieter

Yes.

just as fast as most the leading cross bows.

Arrow speed or fast to shoot? Much faster to shoot, arrow speed cannot hang with this new generation of xbows however, well over 350 fps. If you're not Howard Hill pulling a 110 lb bow, I dunno how you're gonna beat that.

Except for that fact that anyone can pick up a xbow put the cross hairs on a deer at 20yrds, less movement and not having to hold the weight back there is nothing that makes them better physically and mechanically!

Agreed.

In fact a vertical bow is the better weapon in the right persons hands.

Weapon of war, yes, absolutely. Hunting tool (if you want to call such a tool a 'weapon'), no, not really, IMO - not for most people, because of what's already been mentioned - the "stillness factor".

Reaction score
Thought for the day:

At this point, I'd almost rather hunt with a crossbow during ML season, than with an ML - not have to mess with all that crap. Anyone else feel the same way? You'd be at a definite range disadvantage, relative to an ML, but some advantages too. No messy cleaning, extra sighting in, etc.

two-click

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You need to try buckhorn 209-no mess cleans like regular rifle-no soapy water or any other junk,You use regular cleaning solvent ie. Rem oil Hopes etc.I changed to it last year very pleased with accuracy.You also don't have to clean between or every fifth shot.Good Stuff

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
good points Doc it seems we kind of have the same views on it. As for actual arrow speed a vert bow can keep up and exceed an xbow, did u happen to catch jim brunson shooting that 70lb 82nd at well over 400fps? i believe it was like more like 450+ on the cron, it was with a 200gr arrow but it just goes to show whats possible and there are quit a few bows out there now that hit 350+ with a hunting setup which surpasses most of the average xbows... sorry not trying to argue though it would make fun conversation

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thought for the day:

At this point, I'd almost rather hunt with a crossbow during ML season, than with an ML - not have to mess with all that crap. Anyone else feel the same way? You'd be at a definite range disadvantage, relative to an ML, but some advantages too. No messy cleaning, extra sighting in, etc.

You might look at the Savage smokless MZ. Uses standard rifle powder, no mess, and it cleans up just like a centerfire.
I've had one for 5 years now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom