Crossbows Now Legal for Deer Hunting for All Ages

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DownDeep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But you will kill a deer with a rifle :confused: You aren't a senior citizen yet.. why not hunt with your bow year round?

Then again, you shouldn't even use a compound. I mean, you have 80% let off, fiber optic sights, trigger release, stabilizer etc.. Must be like shooting fish in a barrel, right? You should only use a recurve all season long. ;)

Seriously, a lot of people don't understand crossbows, so they bash them. They are jealous that other hunters are going to get more of "their" deer.

I understand crossbows very well. My father was a disabled vet who had no other choice but to use a crossbow for the last 20-25 years before he past away. I was always practicing with him and had shot his crossbow more times than I care to count. I still have his crossbow, and it shoots well. I don't have a problem with people using crossbows who physically CAN NOT draw a bow for whatever reason. I have a problem with people who CAN draw a bow, but choice to not take the time to practice and become proficient at it. I use my bow from Oct.1-Jan.15 every year with the occasional use of a firearm (usually when conditions are poor to use archery equip) during it's respective season. I don't have a problem at all with primitive and rifle seasons. The city boys need their chance to harvest deer as well!
I remember a time when primitive arms season was still somewhat primitive. And when In-Lines muzzleloaders became a legal means of taking deer.... the idiots (who knew nothing about hunting) :homer: came out of the woodwork. I'm just hoping the same doesn't hold true with this new crossbow usage as well!

Weatherby

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've been looking at the Ten Point GT Flex. Just a matter of figuring out how to fund it.

That's the one my buddy is going with. It looks like a good set up and they say they are as quiet a x-bow as you'll find.
I just hope this new deal doesn't fill the woods with fair weather hunters. The woods are pretty quiet during bow season. I'd hate to see it become like rifle season.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a problem with people who CAN draw a bow, but choice to not take the time to practice and become proficient at it. I use my bow from Oct.1-Jan.15 every year with the occasional use of a firearm (usually when conditions are poor to use archery equip) during it's respective season.

1) Don't you think crossbows could be a gateway for some hunters who are not yet into archery.

2) Why is it you don't want to give abled bodied hunters the right to use crossbows rather than a bow. I love bow hunting, but 1) I need to thin out some does 2) I like to stock the freezer with fresh venison 3) The one place I have access to is not exactly quality (lots of does, poor habitat, few and low quality bucks) and the rest of the time I'm on public land. I'm lucky to get the release one arrow each year

3) What does it matter as long as people are legal. WE NEED MORE HUNTERS. Our numbers are dwideling and without the numbers we have no strength and without the strength we lose our rights.

4) They would be great for getting the youth into the outdoors. They are our future. Xbows would be an outstanding choice to help a youngster learn about hunting when the weather is still nice.

We have to stand together regardless of legal hunting method or the antis are going to pick us apart.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The city boys need their chance to harvest deer as well!
I remember a time when primitive arms season was still somewhat primitive. And when In-Lines muzzleloaders became a legal means of taking deer.... the idiots (who knew nothing about hunting) :homer: came out of the woodwork. I'm just hoping the same doesn't hold true with this new crossbow usage as well!

The above qoute is almost unbelieveable, yet I hear the same dribble constantly on other forums. Do you not realize with talk like that you only push "progressive" hunters farther away from the "traditional" hunting you love so much? Because of talke like that they HATE YOU! They DESPISE YOU! They want NOTHING to do with you OR your ways of hunting!!!! Furthermore, and most sadly, they may never take up your "traditional" ways of hunting from the mere fact that YOU "the traditionalist" have cursed them all your life.

Is that really what you want?

Seems to me, the "traditionalist" is his own worse enemy. Making enemies as opposed to letting "progressive" hunters be then befriending, coaching, and encouraging them in whatever they do. The "progressive" would be much more willing to listen to the attributes of "traditional" methods that way and possibly after some "maturity" take them up. And no, you won't convert everybody, but I can almost guarantee you will convert NO ONE with the above statement.

Tampabucs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Elkstalkr & bigcountry ok... solid posting.

Some guys just don't get it. You noticed how he never addressed the issue of compounds in the woods? I'm serious, there are many recurve guys who despise compounds and think they shouldn't be allowed. The bottom line is you can't get around this argument. Because there will be guys who solely hunt with spears and knives who think those that hunt with a stick and string aren't experiencing real hunting. This is what you call an elitist mentality.

If something is legal and ethical then why attack other hunters? If you like traditional, then by all means, shoot traditional. However, don't begrudge others who use what they want as long as it's legal.

Lastly, Down Deep, I noticed you killed the buck in your signature with a firearm. There are many traditional guys that consider you the orange army who is ruining hunting. You see, it's a very slippery slope. Hunters need to stick together, we already have enough enemies.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't have a problem at all with primitive and rifle seasons. The city boys need their chance to harvest deer as well!
I remember a time when primitive arms season was still somewhat primitive. And when In-Lines muzzle loaders became a legal means of taking deer.... the idiots (who knew nothing about hunting) :homer: came out of the woodwork. !

You might want to re-think your opinion.
The crossbow is 2000+ year old technology....very primitive.
The in line MZ was invented way before the side lock.
Flintlock was invented before the In line.
Scoped smooth bore rifles with scopes were used during the revolutionary war, and with the advent of rifled barrels, became common in the war between the states. 300+ yard shots by snipers were common during this conflict.
Rifled barrels were invented after smooth bore rifles, like the blunderbuss.
Some of the first assault rifles used fuses that had to be ignited and the rifleman had to hold the sight picture until the fuse burnt down and fired the projectile.
I'm thinking this is the weapon you and your attitude need to regress to justify your argument.

By the way, we try to keep things very civil in the hunting/fishing forum, not trying to be judgemental, but accepting what one has on hand to hunt with.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's the one my buddy is going with. It looks like a good set up and they say they are as quiet a x-bow as you'll find.
I just hope this new deal doesn't fill the woods with fair weather hunters. The woods are pretty quiet during bow season. I'd hate to see it become like rifle season.

States that have done this already like Tx have reported a minor increase of hunter in the field during archery season.

DownDeep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ah righty then.... I see how this okshooters forum works. Everyone that post the opposite opinion gets jumped on and burned at the stake. I was being civil and even cracked a couple of "what I thought was funny" pokes.... you know the parts about "not being a senior citizen" and "city boys getting a chance to get a deer". Damn me!
I don't need your history lesson. I know the crossbow is not a new thing. I am not a "traditionalists"! I hunt with a Diamond Marquis Bow made by Bowtech. I do believe that youth, elderly, and physically disabled should be the only one's using a crossbow... but don't think that a physically able adult should be able too, except for maybe during muzzleloader and rifle season. It's just going too far in my honest opinion..... What is next? Everyone gonna jump on the "hand-held multi-shot rocket launcher" or how about the "slingshot grenade".... I'm just saying its taking the sport out of archery a little at a time. And YES... That goes for my compound too!

So there you go... I'm ready for some more burning!
"Come at me!.... I'm a man!..... I'm 40!

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"Come at me!.... I'm a man!..... I'm 40!

:lmfao:

Ok DD. The thing is we as hunters have to stick together. If crossbows are not for you, fine thats great. Go enjoy the legal hunting method of your pleasure. Your post makes it sound as if you are against those who want to hunt with crossbows or any other legal method that you don't think is sporting.
OKShooters is a great place. I honestly think you would have recieved the same response had you posted those comments in any other hunting forum.
I think the friction was not that your opinion of the hunting method varies from others, its your voice against those hunters who are using a legal hunting method. What does it matter as long as its legal, safe, and ethical. As I said before, HUNTERS HAVE TO STAND TOGETHER regardless of legal hunting method.

Hope you have a great deer season!

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm far from an equipment elitist. I hunt with a compound, recurve, muzzleloader and rifle. I like all 3 deer seasons.

But you have to be careful with the "more opportunity" stuff. Why not end archery season, have a 3 1/2 month rifle season. More oppurtunity, right? You could still hunt with a bow, right?

I don't think the crossbow thing will be that big a deal. A few compound users will switch, which I have no problem with. Some will realize they are too heavy, loud and awkward to drag through the woods. A few fair weather hunters will pick one up and realize it's still not all that easy and the classifieds on OSA will be filled with slightly used x-bows. :D

But don't confuse being a fan of MULTIPLE METHOD deer seasons as being an equipment snob.

Some trout streams are sectioned off: Scented Bait, Artificial Only, Fly only. There is a reason for that. There is a reason for multiple method deer seasons.

I just have this (unsubstantiated) theory that Oklahoma will head down the Texas road soon. 3 month "General Season". Outfitters buy up land, book Rifle hunts every weekend to yuppies for 3 months straight. Profit. Lease prices skyrocket, Public Land sees an influx of hunters. Look at Texas Public Hunting (HA!) and lease prices.

Have fun with your crossbows, I hope you all stick a monster! Just be careful with your "more oppurtunity". Some people will take advantage of opportunity to make money.

Just my ramblings.

Latest posts

Top Bottom