Cz 82

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blitzkrieg

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the CZ 82?

You can pick them up for around $169 and up with a C&R license through different distruibutors. I have been thinking of getting one just to have but know little about them.

I noticed the pistol is chambered in 9x18? Good or bad? How available is the ammo? is this ammo interchangable with anything else?

Would this make a decent con carry?

JW/OK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a CZ 82 and really like it. I originally bought a CZ 75B to carry but it gets pretty heavy after a few hours. The CZ 82 is the perfect size to carry IWB. It is pleasant to shoot and accurate. It gets carried daily on the farm in case of an armadillo attack.

bushwacker1

Marksman
Reaction score
I'm one of those people that carry the CZ 82 every day. Shoots great, has never jammed up. Goes bang every time. I too carry it all over my farm and it has worked wonders on some of our not-so-welcome visitors in my chicken hutch. But I have often wondered what some others think about the round and the gun itself as a ccw. J.P., Michael Brown and the rest please chime in.

Jack Bush

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i had one, didnt like the fact the back part of the frame dug into the fleshy part of my hand between my thumb and index finger just like my RIA 1911 did, i put 100 rounds through one and it literally left a scar on my hand thats still there,the Czech military and police use it. Sounds dumb but i might get another

JWE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
9 x 18 IS NOT interchangeable with ANY 9mm round. Obviously you won't (or at least shouldn't) be able to chamber 9mm luger due to the cartridge length and attempting to chamber 9 x 18 in 9mm Luger IS NOT recommended either due to the 9mm Luger shoots a .355" projectile and the 9 x 18 shoots a .365".

9 x 18 really isn't that hard to find just need to know where to look for it. I have a CZ-82, goes bang everytime, never had a problem.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's a CZ, so it'll go bang every time. As far as the cartridge, theoretically, it would have a bit more oomph than a .380 (9 x 17) and a bit less than 9mm Luger/Parabellum (9 x 19). Not sure that actually holds true.

My only concern is all the Makarov ammo I've seen has only been in FMJ, not my personal choice for carry ammo. Has anyone found commercially available hollowpoints in 9 x 18? I need another CZ!

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
9 x 18 IS NOT interchangeable with ANY 9mm round. Obviously you won't (or at least shouldn't) be able to chamber 9mm luger due to the cartridge length and attempting to chamber 9 x 18 in 9mm Luger IS NOT recommended either due to the 9mm Luger shoots a .355" projectile and the 9 x 18 shoots a .365".

9 x 18 really isn't that hard to find just need to know where to look for it. I have a CZ-82, goes bang everytime, never had a problem.

Absolutely! The 9x18 won't chamber in a 9x19 gun, but one can force a 9x19 into the chamber of a 9x18. DO NOT DO IT. Also, 9x17 (.380) will chamber in a 9x18, but is dangerous to shoot. Brass will expand a lot and may rupture. Dennis Kroh of Empire Arms knows of an accident resulting in a lost thumb when a captured Makarov in Viet Nam ruptured a .380 case.

Not to be critical, but your question "is this ammo interchangable with anything else?" is one that can lead to big trouble. Example: Largo ammo, which is 9x23, is nearly identical to Winchester's 9x23 ammo which will make major power factor in a 9mm. Some folks think it's okay to shoot it in a Largo chambered gun. It's around 20,000 psi hotter than the Largo, and is likely to unzip a largo pistol in pretty short order.

Largo is just a tiny bit hotter than 38 super, and people have substituted both ways with these without trouble other than occasional feed problems. However, this is published by a number of authorities as an okay practice. I still don't like it.

There are some safe substitutions for some weapons, but one needs to be sure of the safety factor, and the internet is a risky place to get information relating to the possibility of a kaboom.

The CZ 82 is a super piece of gear. Makarov.com had a bunch on new ones made a few years ago. They went fast for around $400. I wish I had bought one of those. The current offerings are good guns, and I have one or two on the "get" list.

Hollow point ammo is easy to find, but in this power range I think ball ammo is going to be more effective. Hollow point penetration in anything less than 9x19 is likely to be insufficient. I carry ball in my Makarov 9x18 guns. CB

OicnaiC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
9 x 18 IS NOT interchangeable with ANY 9mm round.

I'm pretty sure you can trim down 9mm Luger cases and reload them for 9x18 if you have the equip.

is this ammo interchangable with anything else?
If you're asking if there are any other guns that are chambered for 9x18, there's the Makarov (of coarse) and from www.makarov.com "The Hungarian firearms manufacturer FEG has been quite prolific with pistols chambered in 9x18M. These include the SMC-918...the PA-63...Also the Polish P64 and P83, along with the CZ82 and CZ83 pistols are Chambered in the 9x18 Makarov Caliber"

Latest posts

Top Bottom