Dadgum Chiggers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Worst I ever seen chiggers.
Floated the river for a day/night day trip from Union city to Norman.
I had a canoe and buddy had a Piroque his grandfather built.

We both had passengers and some food and gear.
Long story short my buddy was from Louisiana and not a very woodsy guy.

He enjoyed the tall grasses and laid on the river sand and made sand angels.
2 days later I see him at work picking up packages (Fedex driver)

He said he was miserable itchy and must have got into some kind of poison on the river.

He said he went to the doctor and they took a skin scraping and could not figure out what he had.

I said show it to me and he lifted up his shirt.
His back was completely covered in chigger bites.. solid red bumps everywhere.

I said are they worse around your socks and underwear band.
YES!!!!!!!

I told him go to the doctor and talk to an old doctor and tell him you got into chiggers.
He asked what is chiggers.

I tricked him into biting into a green persimmon also.
I called them green cherry apples.
After the bite his mouth turned inside out and he asked me with a worried look on his face.

Are These Poison???

HAHA!

Edit: Old Doctor confirmed chiggers and mentioned he never seen them that bad.

Michael618

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ll be dipped in BBQ sauce. Kicked my boots off and an all too familiar itch kicked into high gear. Was doing some yard work yesterday and somewhere got into a patch of chiggers. Freakin little spawns of Satan they are 🤬🤬🤬! Little suckers went up my boot and down the inside to get to the top of my ankles and man-o-man they had a feast. Of all the bug bites I think chiggers carry the biggest itch. That’ll teach me to go out without spraying myself down with bug-juice. 🤦🏼‍♂️
Horse linament is the best preventative when it comes to chiggers. They will crawl right over 100% deet to get to me!

Buck98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe it’s just me, I’ve been bitten by chiggers several times in the past but fire ants are usually more painful to me. Seems to me if I step in their mound It takes them about one millisecond to start biting. Snattlerake mentioned a formula for removal, that’s the same one we would use for “crab”removal. I probably lucky I never had to try it!!!

gunnut918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I retired from a public utility. Walked a lot of rights of way. Did that for near 30 yrs. Got lots of chiggers. Best thing I found was absorbine jr. Rubbed it on legs from knee down. Let soak in and dry and no chiggers, felt good also. Miss a day and would pay for it. They are bright orange so with my Mayo legs I could pick them off. No scratching or all you have is the itch.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Took many a baths with Lysol or bleach in the water as a kid. It was basically standard procedure back then. About the only thing we had back then was seven dust to put on your pants legs.

Latest posts

Top Bottom