BBQ Sauce, BBQ Rubs, and Such...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey All!!!

Oh man, it's getting that time...can you feel it in the air...I smoked some yesterday...BBQ Grilling and Smoking time!!!

I'm really, really, really, getting the itch to buy a Yoder pellet smoker...really. Well, the reason for my post is to see what you all use as rubs and sauce/mopping sauce.

Here's a run down of rubs I've used...can't chose just one AND a few of these have beef rub along with pork. Pork ribs are mainly what I use. I'm pretty particular using rubs designed just for beef or pork.

Here are a few rubs I've used...what have you used different from mine.

Mad Hunky
Tatonka
Bad Byron's Butt Rub
Butcher BBQ Rub.......made in Chandler, Okla.
Plowboys
Jack's Old South and Jack's Old South Hickory Rub
Arthur Bryant's
McCormick

Two I haven't but will sometime soon:
Lionheart Rub...there's a Cajun on youtube that does Louisana Cajun Recipes and swears by this stuff.

Fiesta/Uncle Mike BBQ rub...at WalMart..with all the Fiesta spices and seasonings.

Anyone go to the Spice Store on Western and...um...40th..ish??

BBQ Sauce:
I use to like the sweet stuff, but after trying non to semi sweet I can't go the sweet sauce like..Sweet Baby Rays..waaaay to sweet..ugh!!

The two I'm using now are Gates and Arthur Bryant's..real..true..K.C. sauce.

Arthur Bryants original..you gotta like it a little vinegar-ish. The original is great on beef. I love Arthur Bryant's Rich and Spicy..not hot, just a little sweeter than the orginal...I put it on just about everything except ice cream and cereal!!..seriously..it's that good to me.

Gates is good..semi sweet..not as sweet as Sweet Baby Rays.

I usually put the rub on 12-24 hours ahead. I use to use a binder..rub mustard on it then put the rub on. Lately..I just rinse the ribs, pat dry, sprinkle rub..pat it in. Wrap it up in plastic wrap and throw it in the fridge until close to cooking time.

I have used liquid marinade for beef ribs..I've never used and injection on beef or pork..not yet.

I do the 3-2-1 smoking/cooking method. On the 2..2 hour mark I wrap it in tinfoil..put a little margarine, tiger sauce, little brown sugar, qnd some bbq sauce..wrap it up for the 2.

So..what rub and sauce do you use..most of the stuff I've listed I find in stores..some off the Internet. Walmart and Westlake hardware are getting about rubs and sauce.

Gotta get ready for summer and then NFL games!!!

Drinks...got that covered! !!

Post up what you use and where you find it.

Smoke rings..bbq that is..to you.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Despite everything else in my house being homemade, BBQ sauce is one thing I've never even attempted to make myself. I use Sweet Baby Rays Honey and Brown Sugar for glazing. I don't mop. I used to, using apple juice and my homemade bbq rub, but after trying a rack of ribs without it, I couldn't tell a difference.

My BBQ rub for pork is brown sugar based. I have the recipe saved on my phone's Memo app and I've updated it as I've made changes. I can't bring my phone into my office so I can't tell you what it is exactly, but I do know it's brown sugar, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, paprika, black pepper, and chili powder. Maybe an extra ingredient or two, but I can't recall the formula. My preferred woods for pork right now are peach/hickory 80/20%. I apply just a thin layer of BBQ sauce with 15 minutes or so left of the smoke for just a light layer of tacky, sweet, saucy goodness.

This rub also works great when used conservatively on chicken, but I always lay down a light layer of lemon pepper and rosemary first. I don't go heavy on the rub on chicken since I always brine them and there's enough salt in the brine to bring out the flavor. I use Sweet Baby Rays as a glaze for chicken, but I mix it with pineapple juice to thin it out. Heat up in a pot and dunk chicken pieces or brush on whole/spatchcocked chicken with about 30 minutes left for a beautiful glaze. With chicken, I just use a little peach and pecan.

mikeyinokc

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My favorite store bought rub is "Eagle Rub", it is made by a fireman in Edmond, OK. I found it at the grill store on N May Ave. just north of Memorial Rd. next to Jimmy's Egg Restaurant. He also has a website, and I think it can be ordered from there.

My favorite sauce is Stubb's. They have several styles/flavors. I have found it at Homeland, and Wal-Mart. Crest doesn't carry it.

Both of these are more on the savory side of flavors. I don't like the sweet style of sauces/rubs. Seems like most of the popular sauces here are the sweet ones.

I use a Traeger smoker for most of my outdoor cooking.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Im a fan of just 3 sauces. Head country, Sweet baby Rays and best choice honey bbq.

I use my own "rub". BBQ powder, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, brown sugar, chile powder and season salt.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some of my formative years were spent eating BBQ in the South. I developed a taste for the vinegar sauces you find there, and am really partial to chopped pork butt. Since I can't find a sauce in this part of the country that meets my taste, I modify the Head Country standard saucy by pouring out half of the bottle, (I keep the other half to make more mix.) adding yellow mustard, ketchup, worcestershire sauce and white vinegar. I could make it from scratch, but the Head country makes a good base for my mods. For my rub, I use fresh cracked peppercorns, fresh ground pepper, sea salt, dry brown mustard, a little brown sugar and some cayenne pepper. My son will add other ingredients if he is here when I make it, but this makes a good base rub. Looking forward to smoke season here as well...

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Head country sold out to a Corporation last month.
Hoping they stay with the original recipe.
(A neighbor of my moms in Osage county their son went to school with the boys from Head Country.)

I only like pork ribs myself when it comes to ribs but we do up beef brisket or a tri-tip roast if I have one on hand, theyre hard to find around here, but my all time favorite thing to do is smoke a pork butt and then I grind it and mix it with sauce and sweet pickle relish to make what we call pig sandwhiches. Yummm. We do our own dry rub made up of a mix of stuff the wife has been experimenting with for years and years and what we have found to be to our likings. The wife has a basteing system, apple juice or cider ( or if Im not out there she likely pours her beer over it...). Sauce at our house goes on the meat at the table, not on the smoker, like I was raised. I have a great BBQ sauce recipe from a BBQ/beer joint my father ran in the 60s and 70s but it makes 5 gallons (tried to make smaller batches and it does not come out right), so we just buy Head country hot and regular for us and Dr it up a little, and the kids they like Sweet Baby Rays.

Latest posts

Top Bottom