Dang, My favorite sandwich bread is off the market!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stick4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The bread game is all about kickbacks for shelf footage. That's what I don't like about Sara Lee. Any store I go in is 75% SL. That's what Walmart has done to local stores and why they're the only choice we have now.
As for Home Pride bread, if it was not a Hostess owned brand, it might be like what happened to Roman Meal a year ago. When I couldn't find it for several months I wrote the company and they replied that the bakery that had been making it for them in this region closed but that another one was getting up to speed to provide it soon which they did.

bootsbaker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just went to Walmart and noticed they no longer have Home Pride split top wheat bread. Another casualty of the Hostess collapse. Now I've got to find another good tasting brand that doesn't cost too much. I wonder just how many more products there are that I liked but didn't know Hostess made?

I feel your pain, we have switched to the great value brand 100% whole wheat at walmart its pretty good from what the fam says Im not a big bread eater but they eat sandwiches every day.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just went to Walmart and noticed they no longer have Home Pride split top wheat bread. Another casualty of the Hostess collapse. Now I've got to find another good tasting brand that doesn't cost too much. I wonder just how many more products there are that I liked but didn't know Hostess made?

Store bought bread tastes like **** -- even the "good tasting brands" ...

Try this instead:

Amish White Bread

2 cups warm water
2/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 TBLS yeast
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 tsp salt
6 cups all-purpose unbleached flour

Dissolve sugar in water. Stir in yeast. Let sit until foamy (about 10 minutes).
Add oil and salt. Then mix in flour one cup at a time.
Knead for 10 minutes (or until dough is smooth) on lightly floured surface.
Place in oiled bowl, turn to oil top and cover. Set in warm place and let rise until doubled or about 1 hour.
Punch down, divide in half, shape into loaves and place in lightly oiled bread pans. Cover and let rise 30 minutes.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Let sit in pans for 10 minutes, then turn out onto wire rack. Let cool completely before cutting.

You can replace up to half the white flour with whole wheat flour if you like. If you do, sift the flours together before mixing in with the wet ingredients.

Latest posts

Top Bottom