Dangerous Dogs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does the owner of the land reside there? Or do they rent to these people? At some point it becomes a liability issue. We've had one success contacting the owner of the land about problem dogs. Especially after an attorney we ride with sent a registered letter informing them of the financial cost associated with known problem dogs should they hurt someone.

But we try any tactics we can because our sheriff doesn't like to get involved. We had one incident where we flat had to ask the sheriff if they'd prefer to talk to the people before we got bit, or after we got bit (which would also legally require the sheriff to take a report at the hospital). Ultimately they opted for the first option since it was one less bit of paperwork.

Good luck

Thanks, I appreciate it. The land owner is the mother and grandmother to the residents of the dwellings. The Deputy said he was coming out here, and he probably did. Now, don't get the wrong idea and think I'm one of those people who won't shoot in an extreme emergency. I'd just rather get Law Enforcement involved more. If something develops in a little bit, and I get some interesting pics, we will go file another complaint.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was bit when I was a 5 yo child and had over 100 stitches in my face and neck. one bit was half a centimeter from my jugular. To this day I have high respect for all dogs and any dog (even my own) that shows any act of aggression towards me will die immediately. You have way more patience than I would have had. I have a "bone pile" out back of the pasture under a tree, all that remains there today are several collars. They were all stray dogs that chose to do damage at my place, such as chasing the horse, barking/growling at me when I tried to run em off or otherwise pissing me off. A call to the sherif one night and they told me I was well within my rights to shoot the dog is they posed any danger or damage to my property. So it thats what I do.

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was bit when I was a 5 yo child and had over 100 stitches in my face and neck. one bit was half a centimeter from my jugular. To this day I have high respect for all dogs and any dog (even my own) that shows any act of aggression towards me will die immediately. You have way more patience than I would have had. I have a "bone pile" out back of the pasture under a tree, all that remains there today are several collars. They were all stray dogs that chose to do damage at my place, such as chasing the horse, barking/growling at me when I tried to run em off or otherwise pissing me off. A call to the sherif one night and they told me I was well within my rights to shoot the dog is they posed any danger or damage to my property. So it thats what I do.

They told me that was one of my options. But I have other options, too. I have not a problem with someone who kills an animal who threatens them or their livestock. And I admit that I'm showing restraint. Yesterday I yelled and shouted for one of them to get out of my yard, I didn't shoot. The owner responded by calling the dog over to their property. And I reported that the animal was in my yard at 4PM yesterday, reported it on the phone to the Sheriff's office this morning, and it is on the record.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They told me that was one of my options. But I have other options, too. I have not a problem with someone who kills an animal who threatens them or their livestock. And I admit that I'm showing restraint. Yesterday I yelled and shouted for one of them to get out of my yard, I didn't shoot. The owner responded by calling the dog over to their property. And I reported that the animal was in my yard at 4PM yesterday, reported it on the phone to the Sheriff's office this morning, and it is on the record.
It would be a terrible shame if someones child goes through what I did (or worse) as a kid because you felt sorry for your neighbors dog or the neighbors themselves, or whatever the reason is you have not already dispensed those obviously vicious animals.

FOG

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The landowner may be kin to the dwellers but she better understand that she is liable for damage especially if you have records showing she was informed of the problem. Sounds like you are doing an excellent job of creating a paper trail which will pay dividends if the situation were to escalate with the dogs or neighbors for that matter.

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It would be a terrible shame if someones child goes through what I did (or worse) as a kid because you felt sorry for your neighbors dog or the neighbors themselves, or whatever the reason is you have not already dispensed those obviously vicious animals.

I concur. But I prefer to involve Law Enforcement every step of the way.

Latest posts

Top Bottom