Neighbors dogs. I know...not another one.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aku

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are dozens of ultra sonic, battery powered whistles on the market. They are so high pitched that humans can't hear them, but dogs can and don't like it. They are advertised as stopping bad behavior and not only work, but you remain out of the picture.
Fence fighting is a common problem. I've tried a few of the ultra-sonic sound machines. Good in concept, but not all that useful in practice. The best way I've used them was to set them with the human sound on; that seems to help more since it bothers the neighbors.

I've tried several methods to deter such conduct, the best one so far is a visual barrier along the base of the fence, along with about a 12 inch obstruction, or basically a fence within a fence.

After contacting a few dog trainers, training a dog to stop fence fighting is a long and arduous task, that requires the neighbors help. So, all but one, said to put up an electric fence as a last resort. Throwing tranquilizers in food, BB guns, water cannons, etc, was naturally not recommended, and is likely against the law as animal cruelty.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fence fighting is a common problem. I've tried a few of the ultra-sonic sound machines. Good in concept, but not all that useful in practice. The best way I've used them was to set them with the human sound on; that seems to help more since it bothers the neighbors.

I've tried several methods to deter such conduct, the best one so far is a visual barrier along the base of the fence, along with about a 12 inch obstruction, or basically a fence within a fence.

After contacting a few dog trainers, training a dog to stop fence fighting is a long and arduous task, that requires the neighbors help. So, all but one, said to put up an electric fence as a last resort. Throwing tranquilizers in food, BB guns, water cannons, etc, was naturally not recommended, and is likely against the law as animal cruelty.

Really??!?! That's interesting ... (The training a dog not to bark at the fence is hard part.)

I don't know if it will work for you but here's what I've done with every one of my dogs. Works like a charm once they catch on.

Ok ...

1. Get a pocketful of hot dog pennies. (Hot dogs cut up into little slices.) Go outside with your dog and make sure they know you have goodies with you.

2. Ok here's the tricky part because your dog needs to be focused on you (looking at you) and barking. You might need to start with letting them get barking and then yelling to get their attention but whatever works. Do NOT yell their name.

DO NOT yell their name.

DO NOT YELL THEIR NAME AT THEM.

Use whatever one syllable command you want your dog to associate WITH barking. Yes. That is correct. You are essentially teaching your dog to bark on command.

Depending on your dog this may take a few times in a day. It may take a few days. It may take a week or so, but usually it doesn't take long because they are essentially getting rewarded for behavior they enjoy. Lol A double! 😂

A couple of things:

1. Do not give a reward unless your dog is looking at you while barking.

This may get a little tricky -- "looking at you" in the beginning essentially amounts to ANY movement/behavior that indicates to you your dog is shifting his complete focus on the fence over to you. You can slowly refine this "requirement" for a treat to him ONLY getting rewarded if he is looking AT your face while barking.

Once you are satisfied with your dog's level of attentiveness on you while y'all are at the fence doing this, move on to giving the command in other locations. Or while there is no noise coming from the other side of the fence.

2. Your dog needs to associate the command with permission to bark. Don't reward him if he barks without the command you've chosen to use. Don't punish him either. Just ignore the unwanted barks and continue to reward the barking you ask for.

Ok ... Now your dog knows how to bark on command. Great. But you want your dog to NOT bark so ... Moving on to the next step:

1. Do NOT do these exercises at the fence. Start off somewhere away from the triggers that set your dog off. Ok, ask your dog to bark (give the command for bark) but DO NOT reward that bark. Instead wait a second until your dog -- who "should" be looking at you -- doesn't make a sound and then give the command you want to use to stop him from barking and praise and treat him like he just saved his first drowning baby.

Do this every day (we did it several times a day around here at first). Break your training up into short, quick lessons -- not one 30 minute lesson every other day -- and you will see results pretty quickly.

NOW the third and final step. Neighbors' dogs barking?? Grab a handful of hot dog pennies and your dog and go play!! Lol

Let your dog bark a few times. Then call his name and give him the command to STOP barking. Don't call him to you and then give the command -- that is a compound command and comes next. Right now you need to take his reward to him IF he stops barking. If he doesn't, well take him gently by the collar back into the house and try again in a few minutes. Or the next time the neighbors let their dogs out.

It took me longer to type all this out than it did to teach Dawg and Nero to stop barking when the neighbors' dogs were out yapping. Lol Seriously though, Nero was a bit stubborn some times but Dawg caught on quick. Inside a week he had gone from barking and jumping around trying to climb the fence like a rabid rat to running over to the fence, barking a couple of times and then stopping, sitting down (or just coming back to me) and looking at me like "Bish, where's my hot dog pennies??"

Now he oftentimes is more interested in saying hi to the chickens and rabbits than he is what's going on with the yapping little shits next door. 🤷🤷 It's too funny when the neighbors' dogs have been going on for awhile and Dawg will look at the fence and then look at me like "Man what is WRONG with those dumbasses??" 😂😂😂

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Really??!?! That's interesting ... (The training a dog not to bark at the fence is hard part.)

I don't know if it will work for you but here's what I've done with every one of my dogs. Works like a charm once they catch on.

Ok ...

1. Get a pocketful of hot dog pennies. (Hot dogs cut up into little slices.) Go outside with your dog and make sure they know you have goodies with you.

2. Ok here's the tricky part because your dog needs to be focused on you (looking at you) and barking. You might need to start with letting them get barking and then yelling to get their attention but whatever works. Do NOT yell their name.

DO NOT yell their name.

DO NOT YELL THEIR NAME AT THEM.

Use whatever one syllable command you want your dog to associate WITH barking. Yes. That is correct. You are essentially teaching your dog to bark on command.

Depending on your dog this may take a few times in a day. It may take a few days. It may take a week or so, but usually it doesn't take long because they are essentially getting rewarded for behavior they enjoy. Lol A double! 😂

A couple of things:

1. Do not give a reward unless your dog is looking at you while barking.

This may get a little tricky -- "looking at you" in the beginning essentially amounts to ANY movement/behavior that indicates to you your dog is shifting his complete focus on the fence over to you. You can slowly refine this "requirement" for a treat to him ONLY getting rewarded if he is looking AT your face while barking.

Once you are satisfied with your dog's level of attentiveness on you while y'all are at the fence doing this, move on to giving the command in other locations. Or while there is no noise coming from the other side of the fence.

2. Your dog needs to associate the command with permission to bark. Don't reward him if he barks without the command you've chosen to use. Don't punish him either. Just ignore the unwanted barks and continue to reward the barking you ask for.

Ok ... Now your dog knows how to bark on command. Great. But you want your dog to NOT bark so ... Moving on to the next step:

1. Do NOT do these exercises at the fence. Start off somewhere away from the triggers that set your dog off. Ok, ask your dog to bark (give the command for bark) but DO NOT reward that bark. Instead wait a second until your dog -- who "should" be looking at you -- doesn't make a sound and then give the command you want to use to stop him from barking and praise and treat him like he just saved his first drowning baby.

Do this every day (we did it several times a day around here at first). Break your training up into short, quick lessons -- not one 30 minute lesson every other day -- and you will see results pretty quickly.

NOW the third and final step. Neighbors' dogs barking?? Grab a handful of hot dog pennies and your dog and go play!! Lol

Let your dog bark a few times. Then call his name and give him the command to STOP barking. Don't call him to you and then give the command -- that is a compound command and comes next. Right now you need to take his reward to him IF he stops barking. If he doesn't, well take him gently by the collar back into the house and try again in a few minutes. Or the next time the neighbors let their dogs out.

It took me longer to type all this out than it did to teach Dawg and Nero to stop barking when the neighbors' dogs were out yapping. Lol Seriously though, Nero was a bit stubborn some times but Dawg caught on quick. Inside a week he had gone from barking and jumping around trying to climb the fence like a rabid rat to running over to the fence, barking a couple of times and then stopping, sitting down (or just coming back to me) and looking at me like "Bish, where's my hot dog pennies??"

Now he oftentimes is more interested in saying hi to the chickens and rabbits than he is what's going on with the yapping little shits next door. 🤷🤷 It's too funny when the neighbors' dogs have been going on for awhile and Dawg will look at the fence and then look at me like "Man what is WRONG with those dumbasses??" 😂😂😂
The only problem with this method is that you have to be smarter than the dog...

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only problem with this method is that you have to be smarter than the dog...

No you don't! Dawg is SO much smarter than me it's painful. 😣😣😣 Bless his heart -- I think the only reason he tolerates me is because I will give him a meatball ... Or 3 ... While I'm cooking ... 😉😇

enuf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We live on 1 acre lots and there are so many people who just let their dogs just fregg'n bark and bark all times of the day or night - absolutely no consideration that not everyone wants to hear their precious dog. We have had dogs, and we taught them not to bark, it is not hard. People that want to be a dog person ought to be a responsible one, especially if you live in some type of neighborhood - be considerate. I think so many of them are numb to their dogs, they need to stop and listen and think.... hmmm, I wonder....

Big House

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I trained our dogs within a week to not be aggressive fence fighters. It's not that difficult. But, does take perseverance. While cooking Thanksgiving food, I did notice our stupid cat slapping the fence in the backyard today. . Knowing what I know about the feline behavior, the feline is a wasted cause.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I trained our dogs within a week to not be aggressive fence fighters. It's not that difficult. But, does take perseverance. While cooking Thanksgiving food, I did notice our stupid cat slapping the fence in the backyard today. . Knowing what I know about the feline behavior, the feline is a wasted cause.

Haha! That's too funny about the cat. They are train-able too but it takes some effort. And you do have to use cat psychology. Harvey has watched Dawg so much that I swear he doesn't realize he's a cat. He comes when he's called; will "sit," "down" and "stop" when told to do so. He LOVES playing in the water sprinkler (and rain) and every time someone goes in the bathroom they have to turn the bathtub faucet on so he can get a drink and "wash his hair" -- he LOVES getting his head wet. 🤷🤷

MissPriss?? Yeah. No. SHE is a cat, thru and thru. 🤐🤐🤐

Latest posts

Top Bottom