Daughter's Bad Experience at H&H: Part II

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know it's a bit of topic drift ... but I suspect it's only a matter of time. I was truly astounded how many people in on Facebook said they're really glad that firearms and ammo purchases are no longer allowed ... many in local OK groups. When asked many say they don't even know why they feel that way, just that it's the way they think it should be - more victims of MSM indoctrination I suspect.

^^This^^^

Media indoctrination, school indoctrination, the slow death of the rural lifestyle, demonizing of hunters; it's a slow drift but we're moving that way.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, but if you don't want to give your number, don't you want the company to KNOW that? So, if 50% of the numbers they get are bogus, they'll write it off. But if 50% of their customers tell them no, then they might get the idea it's annoying and stop it, don't you think?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Zip I don't care about. It's not the least bit personally identifiable. They use it to say, "Hey, 30% of our customers come from this area... maybe we need a new store up there?" I'm all for that. But just not giving them personal info.

Yes, I visit academy a lot when in stilly and okc.
If enough folks from Ponca shop there we might get a store but I'm not holding my breath.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, but if you don't want to give your number, don't you want the company to KNOW that? So, if 50% of the numbers they get are bogus, they'll write it off. But if 50% of their customers tell them no, then they might get the idea it's annoying and stop it, don't you think?

Depends on how bogus you make it. Personally, I think it's a good thing for lots of ammo sales to go to

1600 Penn NW
Washington, DC 20500

Phone: 202-456-1414

You can usually get that past the clerks (most of whom, let's face it, have the IQ of warm tapioca), but when it goes to the analysts, they'll know it's fake...and they'll be looking not only at the data, but at how much it cost them to gather the data.

1060 W. Addison
Chicago, IL 60613

is another great address.

Asked for an SSN? Give 567-68-0515, Richard Nixon's. Again, the clerk won't know the difference, but the analysts will.

Make them work to figure out the anomaly, make the analysts earn their pay.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1060 W. Addison
Chicago, IL 60613
Cubs fan or Blues Brothers fan? :D

I haven't been asked for a phone number at the checkout counter in years, but when they did, I'd use the main phone number for OU's switchboard. A friend from college used to make up elaborate personas to give the clerk (Radio Shack used to be really bad about that), then when he was finished, they'd ask him if that was right, he'd say no, why didn't you check my credit card when you ran it...

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Giving your phone number at checkout really is the least of your worries. Wal Mart, Visa, MC, Amazon, every phone provider, etc gathers so much data on you personally it's mind-boggling. As an example Wal Mart gathers 2.5 petabytes of personal info every HOUR! A petabyte is 1000 terabytes.

Apple is rolling out a program (or maybe has already) where they know exactly where you are in a store down to the inch! This is beyond GPS. They know exactly which product you're looking at and can use that info to maybe send you a coupon right then and there, or sell it to whomever finds it useful.

All of this "big data" is not considered protected info because they're not selling your name, SSN, date of birth, etc. But the thing buyers of this info can do is use re-identification algorithms to pinpoint who you are. It's getting really creepy out there!

Latest posts

Top Bottom