de Blasio sets up checkpoints going in to NYC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes because that is where most of the population lives and number of people are what determines elections, not acreage.

There is a cure for this. The senate in each state needs to be comprised of one senator from each county. That will counterbalance the house of representatives that is based on population. (Right now, most states have two houses of representatives - it's just that one of them is called a senate.) That way, only legislation that benefits both the urban areas and rural areas will pass. If a big city wants to do something special, it can do it for itself and not effect the whole state.

Woody

HJB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is a cure for this. The senate in each state needs to be comprised of one senator from each county. That will counterbalance the house of representatives that is based on population. (Right now, most states have two houses of representatives - it's just that one of them is called a senate.) That way, only legislation that benefits both the urban areas and rural areas will pass. If a big city wants to do something special, it can do it for itself and not effect the whole state.

Woody
Yes, that's why we have city governments that are separate from the state government. I don't see that your idea changes much of anything. The federal government is not supposed to be legislating local or regional issues. And we sure don't need thousands of more government bureaucrats (one from each county...you know how many that is throughout the US ?) to pay and spend federal $ to hire personnel, provide office space and the rest of the money wasted on that kind of thing.

I think we will just stick with the system as it is now. There is no way the Constitution is going to be changed anyway.

HJB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To the OP - let's be really clear:

De Blasio won't be manning these checkpoints.
They are not manning all of the check points and for those that are manned, only 1 in every 6 or 8 cars is even stopped. And all of the information is voluntary and if you just lie about where you came from they can't do a thing about it.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They are not manning all of the check points and for those that are manned, only 1 in every 6 or 8 cars is even stopped. And all of the information is voluntary and if you just lie about where you came from they can't do a thing about it.

Oh, ok that makes everything hunky dory.

Just lie.
Just accept that only a few cars will be stopped. A little statism is ok, kinda like a little abortion is acceptable, or a little poison, ....

"Just lie". I love this answer. Says a lot.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, that's why we have city governments that are separate from the state government. I don't see that your idea changes much of anything. The federal government is not supposed to be legislating local or regional issues. And we sure don't need thousands of more government bureaucrats (one from each county...you know how many that is throughout the US ?) to pay and spend federal $ to hire personnel, provide office space and the rest of the money wasted on that kind of thing.

I think we will just stick with the system as it is now. There is no way the Constitution is going to be changed anyway.

I'm talking state government, not federal. With rural counties having an equal say in state affairs, it is doubtful a governor would be able to blockade an entire state. If a mayor and city council wanted to blockade their city, they would be free to do that so long as the city charter gave them such power and state law didn't prohibit it.

Woody

HJB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm talking state government, not federal. With rural counties having an equal say in state affairs, it is doubtful a governor would be able to blockade an entire state. If a mayor and city council wanted to blockade their city, they would be free to do that so long as the city charter gave them such power and state law didn't prohibit it.

Woody
I see what you are saying. Unfortunately that pretty much exactly goes against the complaint that people have now about the US Senate. Smaller states are "over represented" because the population is much smaller but still gets two senators. They want senator based on population.

You are saying we should change from senators based on population, to senators based on what is really an arbitrary division of land mass.

So, I'm guessing that would be a tough thing to get changed....actually, I think it would be impossible to get changed.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I see what you are saying. Unfortunately that pretty much exactly goes against the complaint that people have now about the US Senate. Smaller states are "over represented" because the population is much smaller but still gets two senators. They want senator based on population.

You are saying we should change from senators based on population, to senators based on what is really an arbitrary division of land mass.

So, I'm guessing that would be a tough thing to get changed....actually, I think it would be impossible to get changed.

All the people are well represented in the House of Representatives. The Senate is supposed to represent the states. We are the United States of America, not the United People of America. The several states are autonomous, and that is why the federal government is limited in the power it is granted. The several states and the people have the balance of governmental powers - except for those prohibited to the states by the Constitution.

As it stands, the United States Senate IS based upon area - the several states.

I believe if you are not a troll, you need to take a primer in the Constitution, the separation of powers, what a republic is, the dangers of democracy, and a good lesson in ancient and modern history.

Woody

Latest posts

Top Bottom