dealing with the police during a traffic stop

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kellyreno

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for posting the link, that is a great video.
I saw a vid on youtube recently recommending that you tell the officer you have a gun. No thanks. Massad's advice seems much more prudent (as usual), and is the procedure recommended to me by friends in law enforcement. Saying the "G" word to an officer sees a little like the "B" word (bomb), best avoided.
In fact I have been stopped twice while carrying and simply handed over my CCW and DL, and said "good afternoon officer".
In both cases there officer did his thing and never mentioned my weapon, and neither did I.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw a vid on youtube recently recommending that you tell the officer you have a gun. No thanks. Massad's advice seems much more prudent (as usual), and is the procedure recommended to me by friends in law enforcement. Saying the "G" word to an officer sees a little like the "B" word (bomb), best avoided.
In fact I have been stopped twice while carrying and simply handed over my CCW and DL, and said "good afternoon officer".
In both cases there officer did his thing and never mentioned my weapon, and neither did I.

You need to review your CCL info. In Oklahoma, you are required by law to inform the officer. Massad's state may not require it, but Oklahoma does.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You need to review your CCL info. In Oklahoma, you are required by law to inform the officer. Massad's state may not require it, but Oklahoma does.

I know we are supposed to inform officers during a contact that we are SDA/armed. I have handed my SDA card on top of my OkDL a couple of times... and got a "cool it and have a nice day", before I could say, "I am legally armed, how shall we proceed?"

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know we are supposed to inform officers during a contact that we are SDA/armed. I have handed my SDA card on top of my OkDL a couple of times... and got a "cool it and have a nice day", before I could say, "I am legally armed, how shall we proceed?"

Yup, that happens a lot, the problem I had with the other poster was this part

Don't get into the mindset of thinking that you have the option of notifying the officer. Most of them will do just as Jefpainthorse's have done. If I was stopping you, I want to know if you are and where it is. I am the most gun friendly guy in the world, but for my safety, I want to know. Too many crazies out there, and I don't know you from Adam. We CCL holders don't need any bad press, just follow the law.

kellyreno

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
gillman7,
I agree and to clarify, I informed the officer non-verbally by giving him both my CCW card and my DL.
I have been told by officers and I believe the point M.A. makes in the video is that giving your card is a discrete but clear way to let them know you are carrying.

sorry for the confusion, on my first post no less.

mikeyinokc

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
gillman7,
I agree and to clarify, I informed the officer non-verbally by giving him both my CCW card and my DL.
I have been told by officers and I believe the point M.A. makes in the video is that giving your card is a discrete but clear way to let them know you are carrying.

sorry for the confusion, on my first post no less.

Giving the Officer your CCW card does NOT by itself inform him/her that you are actually carrying at that time. Having your card on your person has nothing to do with whether or not you are carrying at that moment in time.

bigR73942

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have delt with this several time I have never had any issue with the CCW card being handed to me with drivers licence I have asked where it is located and in some cases have ASKED that it be placed on the dash the most important part to me is that you stay calm and confident when you aperar to be nerveous It raises the attention of everone there!

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well I've been stopped a few times and always just hand my DL and CCW. Thing is everytime I get one of two questions before I can speak which seems to be typical in Tulsa or the HWP.

1. Do you have it on you? Where is it? Just leave it there, once come back to the patrol car.

2. Where is it?

I think most LEO's are smart enough to figure out the a CCW permit is given to them for a reason. Unless you think they're out to get ya or something as some seem to think. When you hand them the CCW it all works out one way or another.

I wonder what the SDA says about those which can't speak or have a disability? Would both parties be able to figure out by the means above?
Yea I think so..................................

Latest posts

Top Bottom