Decided to start reloading..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Powers

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I have decided to start reloading, mostly .45 ACP and 308/7.62x51mm. I was planning to get started right after the holidays last year, but after the craziness, all the stuff disappeared. So I am waiting for a press and other stuff to come back in stock. I have decided on a Hornaday LNL AP and a LNL Classic single stage press to get started with.I have been reading and researching a lot. Most of the questions I have are in regards to dies and how/why to do certain parts separately or combined with one die, like de-capping/sizing, etc..I see that there is a lot of personal choice involved, for example using a powder cop or a lock out die. But slowly I am learning. My big question here is about lead vs jacketed bullets. I plan to use my reloads in a Savage bolt action and an FNX-45. I know that some firearms lead bullets are not the best to use, or like Glocks, it can be dangerous. So how can I learn or choose which of my firearms can safely use lead bullets?
Thanks for any info in advance!

Incrediblerod

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lead is generally loaded at lower velocities than jacketed. You will have find a load that will cycle in a semi auto.
I keep lead loads under 1000 fps and have never had issues in 9mm or 45.
The lead reload in Glocks debate has to do with polygonal rifling and leading.

BallisticBiker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The guy that posted above me got me into reloading. Along with his advise, I will offer you this...
Before spending the kind of coin that you are talking about, perhaps you'd be better served to buy an inexpensive single stage Lee press to even see if reloading is for you. 'Cause it ain't for everybody.
I cut my teeth with a Lee Pro1000 progressive press that I paid about $125 for. That dude above me has loaded thousands of rounds on his inexpensive Lee single stage, but he's a tight-wad...;) And he is a perfectly content tight-wad.
I decided that with the amount that I shoot, reloading was beneficial for me. So, I stepped up to the Hornady LNL-AP. It's a Cadillac of a press! I now have the capabilities of loading five different calibers on this press and I get to ignore the ridiculous $0.50 - $1.00 per round ads in the classifieds.

p.s.
Please start with .45 acp! Much larger window for error. As I'm sure that you are well aware - reloading can be dangerous.

Powers

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The guy that posted above me got me into reloading. Along with his advise, I will offer you this...
Before spending the kind of coin that you are talking about, perhaps you'd be better served to buy an inexpensive single stage Lee press to even see if reloading is for you. 'Cause it ain't for everybody.
I cut my teeth with a Lee Pro1000 progressive press that I paid about $125 for. That dude above me has loaded thousands of rounds on his inexpensive Lee single stage, but he's a tight-wad...;) And he is a perfectly content tight-wad.
I decided that with the amount that I shoot, reloading was beneficial for me. So, I stepped up to the Hornady LNL-AP. It's a Cadillac of a press! I now have the capabilities of loading five different calibers on this press and I get to ignore the ridiculous $0.50 - $1.00 per round ads in the classifieds.

p.s.
Please start with .45 acp! Much larger window for error. As I'm sure that you are well aware - reloading can be dangerous.

Sorry, I am getting a LNL classic single stage press to begin with. The progressive one I decided on next. I totally worded that post wrong. Adding the power cop and lock out die just added more to the post being wrongly worded. The LNL AP was what I decided on when I get to progressive. But it is what I had been looking at. And I was planning to start with .45 ACP as well..take it slow and easy. I signed up for a class at H&H a while back, but after calling them a few times they have never called me back to schedule or confirm a class. So thanks, that advice is right on and I am going with the single stage first. My questions on the dies are because as I read and learn always have questions that stick in my head. But agreed, I will start with the single stage. I had planned to buy either press, whichever came in stock first. But I certainly know that I wont start on the progressive until I have some serious time down on the single to get the basics down. I don'y move that fast anyways, the single stage will fit me just right for now anyways.
Thanks!

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The issue with reloads and glocks is more about the lack of proper support for the cartridge in the web area in Glock pistols than the polygonal rifling. I have owned several glocks and went the route of buying after market barrels (Lone Wolf in my case) for each of them. If you look at the fired brass from a glock, you will see a bulge at the 6:00 position. When Glock designed the pistol, they chose to move the feed ramp forward into the chamber which results in the bulge you see on glock fired brass. When you fire virgin brass in a glock, it has the elasticity to stretch without rupturing. Resized brass is work hardened to the point that when fired in a glock it may rupture. If you do a search on Glock Kaboom you will find lots of differing opinion about what is happening. I had an HK USP with poly rifling and shot many lead bullets through it. It did lead a little worse than the standard cut rifling, but was still safe to shoot. Of all the centerfire glock pistols, the 9mm suffers the least from that malady.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Henry's in Yukon offers classes also. And rcbs has an instructional DVD that would prob help some to. And welcome to the sport of reloading where you really won't save much money but you will shoot more.

Powers

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Henry's in Yukon offers classes also. And rcbs has an instructional DVD that would prob help some to. And welcome to the sport of reloading where you really won't save much money but you will shoot more.

Thanks..one of the reason I wanted to reload was just being able to make what I want when I want. If I can save a bit then great. If not, I had fun making ammo. I will probably have a bunch of questions, so I will be here posting and reading. And thanks for the tip on Henry's. I will give them a call today.

acp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Reloading won't save you much on common calibers, but for me I get to shoot my .41 mag a whole bunch more by reloading. You will really have nice ammo if you use J&K bullet casters lead bullets. I load their .41 mags up to magnum loads and have no leading issues. I highly recommend them.

Powers

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Reloading won't save you much on common calibers, but for me I get to shoot my .41 mag a whole bunch more by reloading. You will really have nice ammo if you use J&K bullet casters lead bullets. I load their .41 mags up to magnum loads and have no leading issues. I highly recommend them.

All my stuff is common calibers, nothing out of the ordinary. But if I get proficient at reloading that may change. Because the obstacle of not having ammo would be solved for me. But I will start with the .45 ACP and see about getting into a class. I am reading as much as I can get my hands on. I don't have anyone local to teach or help me, so I am going to take it slow and easy and of course, be on here if I have any questions.

jdgabbard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lead is generally loaded at lower velocities than jacketed. You will have find a load that will cycle in a semi auto.
I keep lead loads under 1000 fps and have never had issues in 9mm or 45.
The lead reload in Glocks debate has to do with polygonal rifling and leading.

The first bold part while true to an extent is not exactly a good comment. Plain base lead boolits can be driven to 1400fps before leading is any real issue. After than gas checks are good for about 2200-2400fps. And then there is paper patching, which can go 3200 easily. Check out the thread I started labled "Go on, admit you envy me" I posted some good info for cast in it.

The second bold part is somewhat moot, as you're rarely going to see a .45 load over 1000fps, and most 9mm loads are going to be right at 1000fps.

I'm not doubting the posters experience, but the common ideas about lead are untrue. You do have to have a good understanding of lead to get good results.

Latest posts

Top Bottom