Deciding on rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which Rifle Would YOU Recommend?

• Sig Sauer 556xi

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Smith & Wesson M&P Sport

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Sig Sauer MCX

• Colt LE6920

• Total voters

LionHeart

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've read the forums for a while, finally actually made an account and posting.

I'm headed to buy myself a new rifle this week, will be my first "tactical" "sporting" whatever term you wish to throw on it. I've helped a couple buddies of mine build their AR's and similar rifles, and now I'm in a good financial position to buy and customize my own.

My question is pertaining to which rifle I should go for. All of the ones I'm looking at seem to be very durable, I've shot all but one of them with success, but I can't decide.

- Sig Sauer .556xi (Approx 1400.00)
- Smith & Wesson M&P Sport (650-700)
- Sig Sauer MCX (1700)
- Colt LE6920 (Around 1000)

The only of these I haven't shot myself is the MCX, but I've not heard/read anything negative about them.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm in agreement with building your own. You can buy quality parts, assemble it from a selection of video's and end up with a modern sporting rifle that will be your own.
In the process of building it, you will become knowledgeable in how it operates. Great learning experience.
We have vendors on this forum that offer very reasonable costs for parts, and include intimate knowledge of the platform with no extra charge.

LionHeart

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you've helped build some ARs, I'd go that route. Build what you want from the start.

I'm in agreement with building your own. You can buy quality parts, assemble it from a selection of video's and end up with a modern sporting rifle that will be your own.
In the process of building it, you will become knowledgeable in how it operates. Great learning experience.
We have vendors on this forum that offer very reasonable costs for parts, and include intimate knowledge of the platform with no extra charge.

My current process is that for now, I want to buy an already built rifle. I leave for Basic Training in 6 month, and I'm really just looking for a solid rifle I can run drills with, take to the range for fun, etc. until I leave. I already do this a ton with my pistols and shotguns, just wanting to add another dimension.

Whenever I get out of basic and I have all of those paychecks I didn't use while I was in training, I'm planning to start building one from the ground up.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My current process is that for now, I want to buy an already built rifle. I leave for Basic Training in 6 month, and I'm really just looking for a solid rifle I can run drills with, take to the range for fun, etc. until I leave. I already do this a ton with my pistols and shotguns, just wanting to add another dimension.

Whenever I get out of basic and I have all of those paychecks I didn't use while I was in training, I'm planning to start building one from the ground up.
With the information you've provided, I'd go with the S&W. Solid platform for a factory built gun. All the ergonomics and controls will be the same with your issue rifle in Basic Training.

May we ask what branch your enlisting in?
Your to be commended for volunteering to serve your country.

LionHeart

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
With the information you've provided, I'd go with the S&W. Solid platform for a factory built gun. All the ergonomics and controls will be the same with your issue rifle in Basic Training.

May we ask what branch your enlisting in?
Your to be commended for volunteering to serve your country.

That's where I was leaning. A lot of praise on that rifle for a low price.

I enlisted in the Army - Active Duty. Military Police with Airborne Training.

Latest posts

Top Bottom