Deer Activity

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now that everyone has had a couple of weekends in the woods bowhunting, what kind of behavior patterns have you been seeing? Most of what I have seen is just typical does and fawns. What few bucks I have been seeing were all small, but they were always on their own and not with other bucks bigger then them. Can't remember seeing anything larger than a 6 pt yet... until tonight. :)

Set out on a new spot on the Kiamichi river by Clayton. After working all day, I stunk too bad to bowhunt it, so I grabbed my rifle and ground blind for pigs. Right at dusk, I was already putting up the groundblind and two does bust out of the woods coming right at me 100 yds away, bout 90 mph. Right on their heels is a thick, tall, narrow 12 pt. Does went 20 yards behind me and he stopped broadside, nothing between me and him, 40 yards... for three minutes. My blind was still up enough to hide me, so I just watched him... through the crosshairs. Whew, talk about testing your morality. He proceeded to chase the does till they got downwind of me and the does busted me and blew and ran off. That freakin buck just stood there and stared at me for another minute, then trotted off after the ladies. I am by no means a deer expert, so I don't know what to make of it. I want to just chalk it up to something other than some of rut type behavior, it just seems a little early for that...? Have ya'll been still seeing bachelor groups, are they singles, pairs, small groups, big groups?

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Our cameras are still showing small bachelor groups. The two shooters we have pictures of appear to be running solo.

Does are coming to the feeder in groups up to 4.

Does and young bucks showing up during legal shooting time. Shooter bucks no where near legal shooting time.

Huckelberry75

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Paul, let that be a lesson, Chance Favors the Prepared!!! I had that happen, I watched a nice 8 pt at twenty yards for 2-3 minutes while I sat holding my shotty, like an idiot. He would have been my first ever bow kill as well. Oh well. C'est la vie.

Texas deeraholic

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been seeing lots of does and fawns during daylight. Haven't seen any bucks over 2 1/2 years old in person yet. I probably had 15 deer within 50 yards of me at sunset last night. On camera, most of the bucks are nocturnal right now, but there is one 4 1/2 year old 8 point showing up alot in daylight. the only problem is that his g3's are only about 2 inchs long. I'm taking my 4 year old daughter out with me next weekend, and he's on the top of the hit list for management bucks. Judging from the last couple of years and the moon phase, I think we'll have more wall hangers show up around the full moon in 2 weeks as they expand thier home range in anticipation of the rut. They should start showing up at all times of the day around halloween, but there's no telling since they hardly ever do what you expect them to. The bucks have been doing alot of sparring, but are still running togather where I'm at, but I think that will stop in one or two weeks. Hope I'm there when they decide to start making thier daytime rounds. good luck to everyone out there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom