Deer feeder question?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Setting up a deer feeder on some property, trying to get ready for this next season. I have to put a fence around it to keep horses and a few calves out. I already set my posts. Did it in a 30' x 30' square. There's no hogs in the area. Was gonna make my fence 4' tall. Here's the question. Should I have made my fence round and should I have made the area a little bit bigger? Also, is 4' to tall for deer to jump? Afraid the calves will jump a 3' fence. I'll be putting a tripod 55gallon drum cast feeder in it. And maybe eventually a gravity feeder for some higher protein food once I get deer coming in regularly.

Also if anyone has any tips to get more deer in on the property, that'd be great. I have deer coming through but I don't think they're hanging around. Food plot is out of the question right now but may be able to haul water to a water tank close by. There's not a whole lot of water in the area where I'm putting my feeder. I'm up in the Panhandle so y'all know it's pretty dry up here and hunting is probably a little bit different than back east.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's big enough. I've seen deer easily clear a 5' tall fence, and I don't think there would be any difference between round and square that would make any difference. Get your minerals and higher protein food out in the spring to help antler growth.
Keeping them in the area year around will be determined by how your deer react to the minerals you put out in the spring. If they have sufficient minerals in their browse and natural licks in the area, they may not care for or need them. My area is like that. Waste of money for me to put out minerals.
On the other hand if minerals are lacking naturally, supplementing them can really be an attractant.
Put out different foods to try during the summer months, and put a camera on your area to see how well they like what your putting out.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mine are 24x24 square and I have no problem with the deer coming in. 3 strand barb wire about waist high and it keeps the cattle out at my place. I like leaving the wire on bottom a little high cuz the fawns prefer to go under rather than over I've noticed.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
Doe groups will run each other off from a feeder. Single does will not walk up to a feeder if there are other does already feeding. If you want to attract more deer, then more feeders spread out around your property.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Heres how I protect mine which I guess is really no help to you. Deer havent touched it in probably 2 months. They walk right by corn on the ground.
Game Cam 12-9-16 181.JPG

Latest posts

Top Bottom