Deer Food Plot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjones96761

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the neighbors on all sides plant wheat in the bottoms for cattle, so i need something that will really draw them in. more work, more expense OK as long as results shine through. a guy from work suggested Lablab, but he had never used it personally. any experience? pawnee county is where all this is gonna take place.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
the neighbors on all sides plant wheat in the bottoms for cattle, so i need something that will really draw them in. more work, more expense OK as long as results shine through. a guy from work suggested Lablab, but he had never used it personally. any experience? pawnee county is where all this is gonna take place.

Isn't lab lab a spring, summer, mix?
I may be wrong, but I'm too lazy to go out to the shop and check the bag I was given.

firewalker600

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Had good luck with a mix from farmers Grain in Edmond. It was a 40lb bag for around 25 dollars. We also tried Frigid Forage and antler king products. For the money spent on them I did not get the activity that I did on the farmers grain mix. I was disappointed with them for the money spent and the results they produced. We planted 2 food plots and 4 hunt plots for a total around 8 to ten acres. We did test plots on all the products and the mix worked out the best with the exception of newzealand clover mix by biologic which came out on top. It was pawed up and gone mid season. So I will be trying that again next year on my hunt plots. Also I will be making my own mix so that I can plant different seeds at different deeps. With the mix the wheat, turnips and clover did great but the peas seemed to struggle. I believe it was do to the light drag we did and not getting them deep enough except in the four wheeler tracks. Also had good luck on a spring mix that we planted in the canopy of the trees. I cant remember where we got the mix, but it made it through most of the summer and had good activity. This year I will be planting winter wheat, cow peas, turnips and newzealand clover and thinking about a small corn patch.
Good luck

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had good luck with a mix from farmers Grain in Edmond. It was a 40lb bag for around 25 dollars. We also tried Frigid Forage and antler king products. For the money spent on them I did not get the activity that I did on the farmers grain mix. I was disappointed with them for the money spent and the results they produced. We planted 2 food plots and 4 hunt plots for a total around 8 to ten acres. We did test plots on all the products and the mix worked out the best with the exception of newzealand clover mix by biologic which came out on top. It was pawed up and gone mid season. So I will be trying that again next year on my hunt plots. Also I will be making my own mix so that I can plant different seeds at different deeps. With the mix the wheat, turnips and clover did great but the peas seemed to struggle. I believe it was do to the light drag we did and not getting them deep enough except in the four wheeler tracks. Also had good luck on a spring mix that we planted in the canopy of the trees. I cant remember where we got the mix, but it made it through most of the summer and had good activity. This year I will be planting winter wheat, cow peas, turnips and newzealand clover and thinking about a small corn patch.
Good luck

Sounds like you had a pretty good mix.
But, each variety has different needs. Some need a alkiline soil and some need a soil closer to neutral.
As always, check with the seed deler to see if you need a soil sample

Latest posts

Top Bottom