Deer Season 2018 Pics/Stories

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You changed stands mid-hunt?!? Why?

I’m only going to tell you what’s worked for me, and I’m sure others may offer different advice.

Check cameras for movement, check the weather, figure out which stand best fits the forecasted wind, and sit there...PERIOD! Deer hunting isn’t rocket science, and I really believe you’re overthinking it.

Most or maybe all the dramatics you see on the outdoor channel is staged for TV. DON’T BUY INTO IT!!!
Due to the harsh winds screaming over the ridge. I dressed the best I could for the walk in at 60 degrees and packed extra clothing in my backpack. Between the wind cutting through and my buddy seeing deer movement more in a tree line, I moved to a stand that hasn't been sat in yet and was out of the winds.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Due to the harsh winds screaming over the ridge. I dressed the best I could for the walk in at 60 degrees and packed extra clothing in my backpack. Between the wind cutting through and my buddy seeing deer movement more in a tree line, I moved to a stand that hasn't been sat in yet and was out of the winds.

Ok, I get it, and I won’t tell you what I would tell my hunting buddy down here.

I had a similar situation on a hunt last trip up. I wore two shirts but still got chilled with the wind, BUT I STILL stayed in the stand until dark.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, I get it, and I won’t tell you what I would tell my hunting buddy down here.

I had a similar situation on a hunt last trip up. I wore two shirts but still got chilled with the wind, BUT I STILL stayed in the stand until dark.
Ha ha ha I know. I'm a wuss. Too damn skinny to keep warm. Another worry I had was with the 40mph winds, if I'd be able to make an ethical shot with my bow.

SnowCamo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ha ha ha I know. I'm a wuss. Too damn skinny to keep warm. Another worry I had was with the 40mph winds, if I'd be able to make an ethical shot with my bow.

I change stands from time to time mid hunt.
My dad on the other hand does it just about every hunt.
We meet up after a hunt and I ask him where he sat.
“Oh, over here for about 30 minutes. Then back over on the hill for 15 minutes but I started thinking about how comfortable the seat is in such and such stand so I ended up over there.”
Cracks me up.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I change stands from time to time mid hunt.
My dad on the other hand does it just about every hunt.
We meet up after a hunt and I ask him where he sat.
“Oh, over here for about 30 minutes. Then back over on the hill for 15 minutes but I started thinking about how comfortable the seat is in such and such stand so I ended up over there.”
Cracks me up.
As long as he is having a good time that’s all that matters lol

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know guys who have killed deer while “still hunting” (ie walking around), but I also know that even a blind hog finds an acorn every once in a while.

I also know a guy that was hunting on a friend/client’s lease in Arkansas and got shot while walking around. The guy survived, but the whole story was real sketchy. There was a law suit, and they are no longer friends.

Latest posts

Top Bottom