Deer Season 2018 Pics/Stories

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had a pretty darn good youth rifle season. Took my son, daughter and a friends kid. We could have easily tagged out all 3 kids but passed on a handful of deer. My friends got his first whitetail on this hunt. He was very excited, until it came time to field dress lol.

Wanted to teach them to let some grow and not be greedy with your harvest, only take what you need. It was a great learning experience for them and my daughter has become extremely excited about the hunting & outdoors now after I explained conservation/hunting is a love for the animals and the habitat. By harvesting these deer it helps the deer population.

The third picture is something we can probably all relate to. A dad telling his kid “if you shoot it, you clean it!” Lol That my buddy and his first time deer hunter and his doe. I wish I took more pictures but didn’t think much about it.

Excellent! And, good for you getting all of them out there!

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
8083af70ef796a8e5d396b946429941d.jpg

I’ll try and dig more pics up when I get home. I do still have the head and will try and figure out where I can get the jaw checked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
just pull the jaw and post a good pic and myself and likely many others will weigh in on its age. BTW congrats on a great buck!

Bowhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
just pull the jaw and post a good pic and myself and likely many others will weigh in on its age. BTW congrats on a great buck!

Thank you! Will do. Myself and most of my friends believe him to be 3 1/2. On the hoof he looked much larger. But my heart was pumping pretty good, lol. Does anybody know if I can send the jawbone off somewhere to get aged? It will definitely be educational.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you! Will do. Myself and most of my friends believe him to be 3 1/2. On the hoof he looked much larger. But my heart was pumping pretty good, lol. Does anybody know if I can send the jawbone off somewhere to get aged? It will definitely be educational.

Like mentioned above, I bet there are several guys here that can age it if you post a picture. Unless you just want to send it off. I've aged several cows by tooth wear or the number of teeth but deer ain't my thing.

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

My first thought was 3 but didn’t think it probable with that size head gear, but if that’s the case, just WOW!:ooh2:

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My brother took my son hunting the other morning for youth hunt, while I took my daughter. I’ll spare everyone the details but my son had a big 10 point, about 145-150”, standing broadside when the gun went click instead of bang. My brother, who is familiar with AR’s but not an AR owner, had forgot to charge the gun as they walked from the truck and tried to do it quietly in the woods. The result was a bolt that wasn’t all the way forward. Let this be a lesson to everyone else. Don’t make the same mistake. A deer like that is about a once every 10 years type of deer for where we hunt.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My brother took my son hunting the other morning for youth hunt, while I took my daughter. I’ll spare everyone the details but my son had a big 10 point, about 145-150”, standing broadside when the gun went click instead of bang. My brother, who is familiar with AR’s but not an AR owner, had forgot to charge the gun as they walked from the truck and tried to do it quietly in the woods. The result was a bolt that wasn’t all the way forward. Let this be a lesson to everyone else. Don’t make the same mistake. A deer like that is about a once every 10 years type of deer for where we hunt.
Buddy's dad that happen last season. He's never shot a buck and out steps a mature 8. He thought he had a bad round. He quietly cycled about round, but again didn't charge it. Click again. The buck had enough. He won't even touch an AR now lol.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Had a pretty darn good youth rifle season. Took my son, daughter and a friends kid. We could have easily tagged out all 3 kids but passed on a handful of deer. My friends got his first whitetail on this hunt. He was very excited, until it came time to field dress lol.

Wanted to teach them to let some grow and not be greedy with your harvest, only take what you need. It was a great learning experience for them and my daughter has become extremely excited about the hunting & outdoors now after I explained conservation/hunting is a love for the animals and the habitat. By harvesting these deer it helps the deer population.

The third picture is something we can probably all relate to. A dad telling his kid “if you shoot it, you clean it!” Lol That my buddy and his first time deer hunter and his doe. I wish I took more pictures but didn’t think much about it.

View attachment 125944 View attachment 125945 View attachment 125946 View attachment 125947

That's good stuff, thanks for sharing and pass on the congrats!!

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No forward assist?

Latest posts

Top Bottom