Deer stalk

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolando

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Went down the hill this morning to feed animals and just knew there'd be a buck in my pasture. Sure enough there was a spike about 200 yards away. Using trees for cover I snuck slowly towards him. A couple times he raised his head and looked. I had to hold an awkward pose for a minute or two that seemed like forever until he went back to browsing. Just as I got to within what I thought was bow range he really took notice and stared right at me and slapped a hoof on the ground. I held still and we had a standoff for a while until I slowly turned around and walked up the hill. Looking over my shoulder I saw him waving his tail as he bounded away. Pretty good impromptu stalk. I'm so glad I don't live in town.

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Went down the hill this morning to feed animals and just knew there'd be a buck in my pasture. Sure enough there was a spike about 200 yards away. Using trees for cover I snuck slowly towards him. A couple times he raised his head and looked. I had to hold an awkward pose for a minute or two that seemed like forever until he went back to browsing. Just as I got to within what I thought was bow range he really took notice and stared right at me and slapped a hoof on the ground. I held still and we had a standoff for a while until I slowly turned around and walked up the hill. Looking over my shoulder I saw him waving his tail as he bounded away. Pretty good impromptu stalk. I'm so glad I don't live in town.

Okay, now go try that with a Skunk! When he turns and flicks his tail their is a huge difference!

Reaction score
Sounds like fun. It takes skill to get close - I've never gotten in bow range myself. I've read of guys (internet of course, so who knows) who claim to stalk up to a feeding deer then slap them on the butt, to see them take off like a bolt of lightning and get an adrenaline rush.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After I got tired of sitting in the blind this past weekend, I tried my hand at stalking with a bow and did surprisingly well. First doe I encountered I saw her before she knew I was there. I got about 40 yards away and lay in wait. She was feeding towards me and I had decent cover as long as I hunkered down. She got to about 30 yards away and I figured it was now or never. I am almost unable to draw my bow sideways without making a commotion. I was trying to keep it low to the ground and not getting it vertical until I was ready to set the pins on her. Well, I made one too many movements and she spied me and promptly shagged. Walked down the trail to go knock the wasp nests out of a tower blind and as I stepped out of the blind I saw a doe and couple of yearlings. She had her head down so I plopped down against the legs of the blind. She was about 50 yards away and working towards me. Her spidey sense kicked in and she knew something was up, but she was more curious and kept walking towards me pretty quickly. I didn't have a chance cause as soon as I started to draw she took off. I knew where she was headed and found her on the trail that I had just came from. There was a bend in the trail and I waited till she was around the bend and gained ground on her. I popped around the bend at full draw and she was no where to be found.

Lessons learned:
1) I can't draw my bow horizontally. Not sure why it is so much more difficult, but it was.
2) Deer are smarter than I am on their home turf... which I already knew, but was reminded.

I am going to continue to stalk after ML season is over, it was extremely exciting, but VERY difficult.

Survivor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
roos7a, that was great that you got as close as you did and you're right it is difficult. With a rifle they would have been dead but it is a thrill to stalk whether successful or not.

I've taken deer still hunting with the rifle but like you only came close with the bow while still hunting. I now hunt with a crossbow so maybe I can take one with it still hunting. Good luck!

Latest posts

Top Bottom