Dehydrator ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some may remember the ads on TV back in the day but I've had a Ronco dehydrator (pic below) since the late 80's or early 90's and although slow (aprox 18 hrs. per batch of jerky) we've made a bunch of deer jerky in it......we tried the oven method once and it didn't turn out the way we liked.

All the Ronco is is trays that a person rotates every 'X' period with a coil in the bottom but I understand nowadays dehydrators have fans in them to speed the process up.

I may be getting ready to make some jerky and without going el-cheapo or over the top expensive what is a good dehydrator make and model to purchase ?

Ronco.jpg

dehydrator Ronco.jpg

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Whichever one you get, try to get one with the fan in the back of the unit, top is ok but bottom is terrible if you make jerky with a liquid marinade. Liquid drips on the fan area( even though it’s protected) and gets spread everywhere and is a pain to clean.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
9F506951-0E49-45F8-B54F-77CD0E637789.png
I have a Harvest Maid. A friend had one that I borrowed. It holds a lot of meat and does a batch in about 5 hours. eBay and estate sales are a good place to find them.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fan is a must have. Ive tried a few dehydrators, I bought some thin wire racks from Cabelas and stack 6 of them in a pellet grill. Hard to beat for doing jerky. Ground venison with NO FAT added. Use a tube gun to fill racks. Last year ran the grill until about 16 lbs of dried jerky was done. When its time to do jerky don't jerk around.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just tossing it out there, my neighbor slices his deer/steaks and does it in a stick and tarp smoker. Ultra-cheap, and boy is it good. Just have to wait on those rare windless days.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had 4 dehydrators going at one time all a different brand and the rear fan type was best.
I really did not care for any of them really as I do not like to rotate trays that is BS.
I decided to try my long skinny smoker that was just a homemade deal.
It was below freezing outside so i placed a carpet over it to hold in some heat.
I opened the fire box door on the side and stuck one of those cheap $12 electric space heaters in the door and sealed up around it with wood pieces.

That smoker box could hold a lot of jerky on the racks and it so far has been the best way i found to make jerky with no trays to rotate.
I later used an electric smoker that was broke and used the same small space heater.

That may give you guys some ideas on building your own on the cheap.

Latest posts

Top Bottom