deli_llama's hunting/fishing vest, and crossdraw holster build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deli_llama

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Alright, here are the pics of my project. I am trying to make a vest that will suit my needs in the bush, and while fishing, with molle comparability. It is more than just saving money, and is simply fun to do. I hope you enjoy it.

First I bought this jacket at Old Navy to modify into a hunting vest. The plan is to remove the sleeves, and add Molle webbing. Later I plan to add a tuft of fleece to the shoulder making a versatile fishing jacket.

[Broken External Image]

So the sleeves were removed, and I used that material (as not to waste anything) to start building a crossdraw holster. It was reinforced with buckram (sp?) and Headliner material, then diamond stitched for some bling.

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

After the structure was formed, I then basically pinned the padded fabric over the gun in a taco shape, and roughed out the shape by cutting the edges until i had what I liked. I don't have pictures, but I did sew that molle onto the backside at this stage too. after I had the shape I was after, I trimmed the edges with webbing, and added velcro to the front side to hold the molle straps. I also sewed in a bit of nylon web to lock my GP100 in the holster. Here is a pic of it trimmed, and pinned for the final sewing.

[Broken External Image]

One seam around the outside edge secured the "taco." I then ran a seam just under the silhouette of the revolver to secure it in place. And here it is. The vest is yet to be finished.

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

deli_llama

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok. I tried this once already, but here it goes again.

The first picture shows the vest after I inserted headliner between the canvas outer layer, and the vest's inner lining. I quilted over the top of that. This layer is to give support to the molle that will be attached later. I was really proud of the quilting pattern, and found it attractive. It will become a moot point as the molle is attached. It will be covered:grumble:.
Along with the headliner, I disassembled an old backpack, and stole the foam support from it. It is cut down, and sewn into the back to act as support for the back mounted molle I plan on. (this is not pictured).

[Broken External Image]

And here is a picture of the molle layout. The long, over-sized strips will act as a clip across the zipper, and adjusters on the side. I will also add a zipper vent below the armpit to help regulate excess heat.

[Broken External Image]

Latest posts

Top Bottom