Desantis Scabbards

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting two holsters: one for my j-frame and one for my M&P9c. From online browsing, I think I like the Desantis Scabbards the best for my applications. My only questions for those of you experienced with these holsters pertains to the thumb break.

I don't generally prefer a thumb break on a holster, but I would like to carry the M&P9c under a T-shirt against my skin. Would the thumb break be more comfortable against my belly than the serrated slide of the M&P9c, or would the difference not be noticeable?

What about for the J-frame, would the thumb break provide any additional comfort?

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unlike many others here, I cut my teeth on a thumb break, so naturally, they don't bother me. I especially like them on revolver holsters, because a revolver holster only holds the cylinder. A holster for a bottom feeder grips the entire length of the slide. Therefore, revolver holsters are quicker on the draw, which consequently means the revolver doesn't stay in the holster as well as an auto.

DeSantis uses a different kind of method on their thumb breaks. Most gunleather companies utilize a piece of steel about an inch and a half or so in length. It's installed under the snap then riveted above the snap for stiffness when breaking the snap to draw.

DeSantis uses another small piece of leather instead of a piece of steel installed underneath the snap then riveted above it. It works just as good as the piece of steel, only better. Eventually, your kiester will mold itself around the thumb break and not gouge quite as bad a the steel reinforced TB will.

DeSantis makes some quality stuff for the money. Some of the thickest (yet workable) leather I have ever seen. :thumb:

walker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The thumb break would protect from the slide where the Speed Scabbard will leave the far back of the slide exposed to touch the skin. Same as for the J-Frame with respect to the hammer, keep it from stabbing you when you bend over. This is the only neg I have with the Speed Scabbard, the cold gun will touch my skin and sweat will run onto the gun. The gun does carry and conseal quite will in this holster though. I wouldnt think the thumb break wouldnt be any different unless the leather at the top sticks up away from the slide.

rhodesbe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f138_joehammer75_glockrust3.jpg

The picture supposed details 'sweat rust', where the gent that owned the gun supposedly rubbed the Tennifer thin on his Glock, and some sweaty part of his anatomy (thigh?) deposited moisture onto his sidearm.

The Melonite on the 9c may or may not be more durable, but Tennifer has a mythical atom-bomb proof reputation... and rust still wins.

The gent who owned the G19 above got his slide refinished by Glock for cheap. He bought a more protective holster, and the lesson learned is that sweat does bad things even to Glocks.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow! :ooh2:

I didn't think a Glock would do that? :scratch:

I think it's just the 3rd gen guns that this can happen to, because my 2nd gen Glock 22 has been to hell and back. It's slide is almost silver from all of the phosphate coating that is gone from hundreds of thousands of draws and presentations over the years. And what's worse, is that I never wipe it off or even coat the exterior with any kind of oil of preservative. Never! Hell, it's lucky if it gets a good cleaning after I shoot it. :ugh2:

Not a speck of rust on it anywhere.

Latest posts

Top Bottom