Diagonal parking etiquette

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enuf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I understand right of way and all that, but what is the small-town etiquette when it comes to backing out of a diagonal parking space and the motorist driving down the street, especially when a vehicle next to the backer-outter blocks their view.

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I understand right of way and all that, but what is the small-town etiquette when it comes to backing out of a diagonal parking space and the motorist driving down the street, especially when a vehicle next to the backer-outter blocks their view.
Floor it in reverse and hope for the best. Jesus take the wheel and all that.

mtnboomr

Questionable Character
Special Hen
Reaction score
On a serious note (if there ever is one), the vehicle on the street has the right-of-way over the parked vehicle. If you back out of a parking spot in front of an oncoming vehicle, you are responsible for whatever happens. Of course, it's common courtesy for oncoming vehicles at a distance to stop and allow you to pull out. But that is not a mandatory thing.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go really slow tapping your brakes as you ease back and pray the person coming is paying attention and courteous enough to stop and let you out. Otherwise, see post #2.

enuf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like there is more to this story…..
nah not really. I have spent many times in small town diagonal parking and backed out gobs of times. I back out slowly, tapping my brakes and over the years traffic has stopped once I breach the street, and I stop for others doing the same thing. I have had to do a little shopping in Collinsville here lately for one reason or another and do the same thing I have done for years in many-many states and many little towns. It just seems like the punks in Collinsville just want to get on the horn and keep on their pace. Maybe it just grew too fast in a short time, and they have ended up with a handful of people not used to the etiquette. :anyone:. Probably the same people that don't open doors for the lady's (or girls that don't get their doors opened for them)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom