Did BO actually sign a Exec Order giving all of congress a raise??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkhamr

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
According to the order, Biden's pay will increase from $225,521 to $231,900 a year, before taxes. House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) will see his salary increased to $224,500 and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) will take home an annual pay of $194,400 after his raise.

Anyone notice that Harry Reid's raise was shown as take home while the others were on Gross Pay ????

Just wondering why .......

ultimase

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The press has spun this a little as well. There was no EO that gave fed employees a pay raise. The EO was to remove the pay freeze from several years ago and allow a cost a living adjustment raise. He just happened to do this across the board including basically everyone except himself. In my opinion it's due, Federal employees have had their pay frozen since he came into office, while all other expenses continued to increase. While it is due, the timing immediately before the fiscal cliff wasn't the best.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hmmm..I did some research because what I learned in Constitutional law seemed at odds with what the reporting on this EO said.
However, after looking a little more closely there is no conflict. Congress granted, by public law, the authority to the President to allow Federal pay for broad categories of Federal employees (GS, SES, Executive branch and Congress) to be raised at certain times.
The President merely used that authority - though one might argue that the timing was very bad.

mons meg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Let's not forget that the "raise" is 0.5%, and that is only for this year, and doesn't take into account the fact that payroll taxes are going back to their original rates, and I'm SURE as others have noted the CPI has far outpaced the COLAs that we have gotten in the past.

Yojinbo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The CPI is being so baldy manipulated to keep us from drowning in interest payments to our National creditors. Surely every household has noticed that the price of food and fuel far outpace the official CPI numbers?

Droff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nice rational discussion on this topic, I'm surprised, but then again I'm new around here.
This has gotten the typical spin due to congress being included and as a few have stated, provides very bad optics to the public. .5% isn't much, but I'm not going to turn it down since I've been under a pay freeze for a few years now, while costs of everything needed to live on has contiinued to increase.
What doesn't help are statements like these;
"It's not how hard they [federal employees] work, it's what can the American people afford," said House Oversight and Government Reform Committee Chairman Darrell Issa (R-CA). He also added, "Currently, federal workers receive typically over $100,000, and are about 16 percent higher compensated than their private-sector counterparts."
What a jack*ss. Typically over $100K? Not even close.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice rational discussion on this topic, I'm surprised, but then again I'm new around here.
This has gotten the typical spin due to congress being included and as a few have stated, provides very bad optics to the public. .5% isn't much, but I'm not going to turn it down since I've been under a pay freeze for a few years now, while costs of everything needed to live on has contiinued to increase.
What doesn't help are statements like these;
"It's not how hard they [federal employees] work, it's what can the American people afford," said House Oversight and Government Reform Committee Chairman Darrell Issa (R-CA). He also added, "Currently, federal workers receive typically over $100,000, and are about 16 percent higher compensated than their private-sector counterparts."
What a jack*ss. Typically over $100K? Not even close.

I was thinking the same thing, and I was surprised too. (Check my post count)

Latest posts

Top Bottom