Did I just witness a war crime?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don’t think all that many of our countrymen support any of this. Even if the politicians and media insist you do.

Sponsoring is different than supporting.

We’re all sponsoring it because our tax dollars are going to Ukraine whether we want it to or not. I don’t know anyone personally that supports that money going to Ukraine, so i agree with you. I think it’s damn few that “support” it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One thing I recall reading about WWII was that the Germans treated our soldiers fairly because they knew we would do the same for theirs.
I'm not sure your history is correct. It was exactly the opposite. The US treated the German POW's humanely in hopes that letters back home would influence the German captors to treat the Allied POW's in their camps with the same respect, and that didn't happen for the most part.
I live 14 miles from an ex German POW Camp in Tonkawa Oklahoma.
The prisoners were allowed outside the fences to assist farmers in the fields, had dances put on with local ladies as a highlight occasionally and so on.
Here is a link detailing how good life was for the German Prisoners. I knew some of the old farmers that had them not as slave labor, but were paid if they wanted to work so they could buy items from the camp canteen.
In the link below there is a report of a snitch that got murdered, with the people involved in the murder convicted and executed in Leavenworth Ks.

https://www.blackwelljournaltribune.net/articles/12661/view
There was another POW area at the Leavenworth Military prison on Ft Leavenworth, which is right next to the Federal Penitentiary, which was my last active duty station before discharge. Home of the Command and General Staff College.
During WWII there were German POW's at the military prison on base which houses naval and army prisoners. Again, a snitch was outed and killed. The people responsible were executed and buried way back in the woods on the base with the graves having headstones but not maintained in any way.
I was rabbit hunting with my beagle one day and found those headstones. I didn't know at the time that the prisoners from Tonkawa were included in that location.
This thread had me do the research.
http://www.basehorinfo.com/news/2008/may/28/wwii_german_pows_buried_fort_leavenworth/
Meanwhile in Germany.
https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/american-pows-at-berga-concentration-campPOW camps varied. Blacks were segregated, Jewish POW's put to hard labor and most suffered through food shortages and clothing shortages in cold weather.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All I saw was good old fashioned war being fought, kinda how we won WWII and why we haven't won a war since then . When you play by rules and they other side doesn't you always end up losing .
Exactly. Towards the end of WWII, American troops didn't take prisoners as they were advancing too fast and the Germans would be hiding in the hedge rows to shoot one American, then throw up their arms to surrender. They got a bullet for their efforts.
Other incidents were like this one that was retribution for Germans killing US POW's.
On Dec. 17, 1944, elements of the 1st SS Panzer Division’s Kampfgruppe Peiper netted more than 120 American prisoners after punching through the Allied lines in the opening 24 hours of Hitler’s famous Ardennes Offensive. Unwilling slow his column’s advance, a 29-year-old German colonel named Joachim Peiper ordered his men assemble the captives at a crossroads just outside the Belgian village of Malmedy. Shortly after 1 p.m., the German troops opened fire. A total of 84 GIs from the 285th Field Artillery Observation Battalion were mowed down in a hail of machinegun fire. At least 43 of the prisoners played dead or fled into the nearby woods.

Over the next three days, Peiper’s men murdered 250 additional POWs as well as 100 civilians. In one incident, 11 African American soldiers captured at Wereth were mutilated before being gunned down. News of the atrocities infuriated the Allies. Over the next two weeks, GIs retaliated against German troops as the Americans fought to retake the lost territory. In one New Year’s Day incident, U.S. infantrymen slaughtered 60 surrendering Wehrmacht soldiers at Chenogne in southern Belgium.

Retribution killings are not uncommon on the battlefield in history. Later conflicts have been no different.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can I hate Chiden and also hate Russia and vote for their destruction? Doesn’t seem like that is so in this thread so far…
You certainly can, I hate Biden I am not fond of Russia or China OR UKRAINE….. when hve we ever seen movie starts and musicians traveling to Ukraine for photo ops and propaganda production? Something is very very wrong here and the seeds for this war were planted by Sleepy Joe himself.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not sure your history is correct. It was exactly the opposite. The US treated the German POW's humanely in hopes that letters back home would influence the German captors to treat the Allied POW's in their camps with the same respect, and that didn't happen for the most part.
I live 14 miles from an ex German POW Camp in Tonkawa Oklahoma.
The prisoners were allowed outside the fences to assist farmers in the fields, had dances put on with local ladies as a highlight occasionally and so on.
Here is a link detailing how good life was for the German Prisoners. I knew some of the old farmers that had them not as slave labor, but were paid if they wanted to work so they could buy items from the camp canteen.
In the link below there is a report of a snitch that got murdered, with the people involved in the murder convicted and executed in Leavenworth Ks.

https://www.blackwelljournaltribune.net/articles/12661/view
There was another POW area at the Leavenworth Military prison on Ft Leavenworth, which is right next to the Federal Penitentiary, which was my last active duty station before discharge. Home of the Command and General Staff College.
During WWII there were German POW's at the military prison on base which houses naval and army prisoners. Again, a snitch was outed and killed. The people responsible were executed and buried way back in the woods on the base with the graves having headstones but not maintained in any way.
I was rabbit hunting with my beagle one day and found those headstones. I didn't know at the time that the prisoners from Tonkawa were included in that location.
This thread had me do the research.
http://www.basehorinfo.com/news/2008/may/28/wwii_german_pows_buried_fort_leavenworth/
Meanwhile in Germany.
https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/american-pows-at-berga-concentration-campPOW camps varied. Blacks were segregated, Jewish POW's put to hard labor and most suffered through food shortages and clothing shortages in cold weather.
Buddy of mine told me about the ones that worked either near or on his Grandpa's farm down by Rush Springs too. Perhaps I was thinking more in contrast to how the Japanese treated our POW's. I knew the Germans sometimes had trouble feeding the POW's and they ate last, but I didn't think that was as a means of torture. Also, not surprised about the segregation. But generally speaking, we got guys back in-tact and some reported they were not mistreated but were tired of eating cabbage. I have no doubt that we treated people the best of course. Thanks for providing more context though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom