Did you know?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Check your homeowners insurance policy for Maximum amount that you can have in residence and be covered.
I keep kidding my cousin his house needs to be placarded.

1686277380496.png

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A 21# keg is not ok, but 50x 1# is alright.

We had a house fire, 40 years ago. VFD is standing around, waiting on Ladies Auxiliary to set up the coffee and donuts.

I grabbed water hose and started to go in. A fireman said I couldn't. Told him, "see that back corner? There is a cabinet there, with 50# of gunpowder and 10k rounds of ammo in it."

He start screaming orders and the fire was out in 5 minutes.

He asked to see the cabinet?
I responded, "cabinet? What cabinet?"

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most enforcement is with the fire department if your house is on fire and they learn of it or for some reason the cops has to show up for something else and it would be a secondary charge. Now if your like a guy i know that ordered 2 kegs of BP for his cannon the ATF showed up and asked questions but after he explained what it was for they left and said nothing else about it.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Black powder has it's own requirements for storage.
I went into H&H a few years ago and asked for some black powder. Clerk handed me some Pyrodex.
No, I want FFF black powder. He said it was black powder.
No, it's a substitute for black powder. Says so on the can.
Manage came over and told me he had to go to the back of the store and get it from the magazine it has to be stored in. Can't be on the store shelves.
As black powder can be called an explosive, I guess that is why they do have that requirement.
Black powder is an actual, real deal explosive. Low order but still a real explosive. Smokeless just burns very very well and will only explode if the gas produced from the burning is contained in a pressure vessel of some type. That's why it listed as a "propellent". The regulation writers just have to overreact to everything. :rolleyes2

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Black powder is an actual, real deal explosive. Low order but still a real explosive. Smokeless just burns very very well and will only explode if the gas produced from the burning is contained in a pressure vessel of some type. That's why it listed as a "propellent". The regulation writers just have to overreact to everything. :rolleyes2
Exactly. Couple folks in Blackwell Ok, several years back decided to use some BP to create some really powerful fireworks. They drilled a fuse hole in the side of some 1/2" copper tubing, crimped one end by beating it with a hammer. Inserted fuse, and poured it full of BP.
When crimping with the hammer on the open end, they generated an explosion. Both man and wife are living without most fingers and barely survived the shrapnel wounds.
It is a real explosive.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Exactly. Couple folks in Blackwell Ok, several years back decided to use some BP to create some really powerful fireworks. They drilled a fuse hole in the side of some 1/2" copper tubing, crimped one end by beating it with a hammer. Inserted fuse, and poured it full of BP.
When crimping with the hammer on the open end, they generated an explosion. Both man and wife are living without most fingers and barely survived the shrapnel wounds.
It is a real explosive.
I poured out about a teaspoon of BP once to check to see if it was still good as I had had it in the garage awhile. All I can say is it was a good thing I had a long fireplace match. Scared the bejesus out of me! Not like smokeless...AT..ALLLL!

Buck98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A 21# keg is not ok, but 50x 1# is alright.

We had a house fire, 40 years ago. VFD is standing around, waiting on Ladies Auxiliary to set up the coffee and donuts.

I grabbed water hose and started to go in. A fireman said I couldn't. Told him, "see that back corner? There is a cabinet there, with 50# of gunpowder and 10k rounds of ammo in it."

He start screaming orders and the fire was out in 5 minutes.

He asked to see the cabinet?
I responded, "cabinet? What cabinet?"
I’ve always believed that the only time you could have to much ammunition is when your house is on fire and nobody is around to put it out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom