Digital Cameras - Need Advise!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BallisticBiker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay, Shutterbugs...

I have a couple of hundred bucks set aside for a new to me camera. I found a Canon Power Shot SX20 IS for that price and it got me to looking around... Man, camera shopping is flat out dizzying! I've learned that I can get into an entry level DSLR at that price point. I've learned that megapixels aren't everything. And I've learned that I don't know the first thing about buying a decent camera.
Help me, please! Put it in the shell of a nut what I should buy and stay at two hundred dollars or under, please. I'm leaning towards the Canon brand, but I just don't know if I should go with a lower end new model or a higher end used one...

I'm not looking to earn a living with the thing, but I wouldn't mind taking a Pulitzer Prize winning picture either.

The Rebel...the PowerShot....EOS....SLR.....Point and Shoot - ARGH!

Thanks in advance for any and all input on this matter!
(I'll probably just end up impulse purchasing something at Wal-Mart tomorrow anyway.....)haha!

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't help you with advice about what camera to buy but you do need to think about much you will use it and how much you want to spend. The digital cameras are improving faster than I can keep up with them. Buying the latest and greatest will still give you an obsolete one really fast. Focus on your needs and look at one that does what you need.

If you want to print photos you will need to get a really good printer for that too. Taking quality pictures that you can't print good enough would not be good.

918evo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just went through this a couple of days ago with the same price range. What I found out is the $200 camera is very close to the $100 camera, and the next step up is $250 or more. I didn't want to spend that much($250) for something that will be outdated and half price in a couple of years, and a $100 camera will work just fine for selling things online, and for kid pics. I decided on a black Sony Cyber-Shot dsc-wx50 for $99 shipped on amazon.

BallisticBiker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just went through this a couple of days ago with the same price range. What I found out is the $200 camera is very close to the $100 camera, and the next step up is $250 or more. I didn't want to spend that much($250) for something that will be outdated and half price in a couple of years, and a $100 camera will work just fine for selling things online, and for kid pics. I decided on a black Sony Cyber-Shot dsc-wx50 for $99 shipped on amazon.

Now, that's helpful. Thanks!

Was there any particular reason not to buy used?

918evo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love buying used, but most of todays electronics are poorly made, and being that I use it everyday for internet sales, I would rather spend an extra $20 or $30 for a new one. If I were getting a more expensive one, and the savings more, I would consider it.

spacepiggy

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
and for kid pics

The greatest problem with cheaper digital cameras is latency: the lag between pressing the shutter button and the actual snap. With kids and a $100~200 camera they'll be long gone and you'll have an empty frame. The second biggest problem is buffering: the time it takes to move the image from the sensor to the memory card, and the time it takes to be ready for the next shot.

The more expensive DSLR cameras will have faster image processing (think computer chip & better software), and if you're savvy with traditional film camera f-stop & shutter speed you can override the automatics and get far superior pix.

For eBay & Armslist, the $100 camera will be great for still life pix.

Good thing about Amazon: you can return it.

BallisticBiker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dslr FTW! If can pick one up you won't have to upgrade for several yrs.

That's something else I'm coming find. If I go with a used DSLR, it seems to still be relevant, whereas the point & shoot's tech is still trying to catch up to the DSLR's imaging capabilities. Has something or other to do with imaging sensors and something about ISO speeds....Whatever the heck that is!? haha

Latest posts

Top Bottom