Digital scale vs. Beam

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
caliper that gets used the most is a Mitutoyo Digitmatic 6in calipers.

digital is superior not because of accuracy, although my Mitutoyo checks out very nicely against gauge blocks.

constantly having to switch between metric and SAE measurements. instead of pulling out my calculator... I'll pull out the Mitutoyo and set to say 3.25mm .... press the conversion button... 3.35mm= .1280in

it's not really necessary to use precision calipers like Mitutoyo or B&S for reloading. a pair of cheapie harbor freight will do just fine.... with one cleavat ... I'd calibrate the cheapie against a known be accurate tool.

got digital and beam scales... like most prefer beam scales
Ohaus which is an established scale mfg makes RCBS's scales.
which is probably why RCBS beam scales are so reliable.

awww.mackspw.com_ProductImages_Large_SSI64789.jpg

[Broken External Image]

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wouldn't trade by beam scale for a digital under any circumstances. The beam is cheap AND reliable.

As for calipers Mitutoyo and Brown & Sharpe are both excellent but the ultimate are the Starrett vernier calipers. Most people don't know how to read them, but they are the velvety smoothest there is, and they have no dials or electronics to fail. The only thing that comes close are the Swiss made Brown & Sharp's. And any of these three are the cats meow for reloading.

Don't forget to get a good 0-1" micrometer with a standard too. You should be able to pick up a nice name brand set of calipers AND a micrometer in a pawn shop for well under $75 and maybe under $50 if you are patient and are a good bargainer. 6" calipers and 0-1" micrometers are a dime a dozen to the pawn brokers.

Tinbender75

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks all! I just order a Dillon beam scale I believe it is made by Ohaus like the others. I am piecing my set up together one piece at a time and jury duty around the corner won't help that. No work, no pay. Thanks.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've used a beam scale forever. I just can't justify the cost of the new fangled ones.
As far as calipers go I used to use a dial caliper, but the new digital are so easy to use.
And unless I start shooting better the cheapies at Harbor Frieght are good enough for me.
More money for components.:laugh6:

ninefan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The harbor freight digital calipers are fine. I have two of the metal 6" calipers that work great. Make sure you pick them up when they are on sale. Find a 20% off coupon for extra-bonus points.

As far as scales go, I own both a RCBS beam scale and a digital scale/powder dispenser. The beam scale never gets used. The digital is just so much more convenient.

The accuracy of either scale can be verified with various high-quality match bullets or check weights. Read plenty of reviews on anything before you buy it and you should be fine.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
not at all... HB tools sometimes so cheap, almost disposable.
HB works fine... double check against a known to be accurate tool and you are good to go.

say $30-35 budget for Calipers... much rather keep an eye out on craigslist, pawnshop, etc.
find say an old Starett dial calipers for $35 vs a new $30 digital HB.

if $$$ is anywhere close to the same...MUCH better acquiring a used quality tool vs a cheapie new one.

What about the digi calipers at Harbor Freight? Waste of money?

Latest posts

Top Bottom