distorted windshields

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nearly every time I drive someplace in OKC I see at least one windshield that, looking from behind, appears to have lots of wavy distortion.

Does anybody know what the deal is? My theory is that lots of windshields were replaced after the really bad hailstorm that hit north OKC, what? a couple of years ago? And, some really cheap aftermarket items were used.

I think some I have seen are bad enough to induce headaches and may even be so distorting as to be unsafe. Your thoughts? CB

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
One thing you have to remember is that when you are looking through someone else's windshield from behind, you are a much farther distance away AND you are also looking through 3 layers of glass... your windshield, their back window and their windshield. Each of these layer, plus the distance between layers all add to the refractive index and the reflections. If you've got glasses on, that adds another layer. The effects are not just additive, they are compounded.

For that driver, sitting inside their car, looking out one layer of glass, it's probably perfectly fine.

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nearly every time I drive someplace in OKC I see at least one windshield that, looking from behind, appears to have lots of wavy distortion.

Does anybody know what the deal is? My theory is that lots of windshields were replaced after the really bad hailstorm that hit north OKC, what? a couple of years ago? And, some really cheap aftermarket items were used.

I think some I have seen are bad enough to induce headaches and may even be so distorting as to be unsafe. Your thoughts? CB

UFO's cause that by shining lazer beams on windows. Those people must live near a "landing zone".

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never thought about UFOs. Could be. Isn't polarized sunglasses unless my cataract lenses are polarized. (They are UV coated, but i noticed this windshild thing before I got the lenses.)

I think it's a bunch of second quality glass put in after the big hailstorm. In fact, I just remembered a distorted windshield a friend of mine had installed back in the early 90s, and it was blurry from inside his car. CB

Latest posts

Top Bottom