Reaction to Shingles Vaccine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had my first of two shingles vaccines 3 months ago. Other than injection site soreness, no problems. Went back to the VA clinic Friday morning for the second. By mid-afternoon Saturday I was feeling achy and run down...not really bad, but enough to notice and to think I might be coming down with something. Then I remembered the shot. The nurse who gave me the shot didn't mention any possible reactions or side-effects so I wasn't really expecting anything.

I looked up typical reactions to the vaccine. This is what I found and what I experienced:

Injection site pain/redness/swelling? Yes
Injection site itching? No
Fever? Yes...mild
Chills? Yes
Muscle pain? Yes
Joint pain? Yes
Fatigue? Yes
Headache? No
Dizziness? No
Upset stomach? No

From what I'm reading the current vaccine is called Shingrix. Apparently this vaccine seems to have more side-effects than the other, Zostavax, (which are no longer used in the US) and they're often worse with the second shot.

I took some Nyquil Severe Cold & Flu around 7:30pm and went to bed around 8pm. Got back up around 10pm and felt much better...so the side-effects for me were pretty mild and short-lived. I feel back to normal today but seem to have a slight cough.

Just thought I'd throw that out there for anyone considering the vaccine.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Several years ago, I had a very mild case of shingles, nothing like what friends, etc have experienced. Currently the son of a friend is dealing with a case that has infected one eye.

Not wanting to experience anything like others have, my wife and I have now had both of the Shingrix shots. Other than tenderness at injection site, neither of us experienced any issues.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mama and I got our first of the two, covered by Medicare, back in mid April and the second in mid July with no really bad side effects.....a little sore, some swelling, warm, and itching at the injection site for a few days.

He's gone now but I had a buddy that went through hell with shingles and hurt so bad that he had to have some sort of pain stimulator implanted in his back at Mercy hospital.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Drs has wanted to give me the vac but didnt know if it would help me or not since i have had the shingles so i choose not to get it and it has been over 2 years since i have had my last outbreak, the bad part about mine is they have always been internal so it was hard to find a doc that would treat me for them.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Drs has wanted to give me the vac but didnt know if it would help me or not since i have had the shingles so i choose not to get it and it has been over 2 years since i have had my last outbreak, the bad part about mine is they have always been internal so it was hard to find a doc that would treat me for them.

I think I'd get the vax. If it doesn't work you really haven't lost anything. From what I've heard from others, shingles suck big time.

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Took the Shingrix vaccine, then a month later a booster about a year ago. Six months earlier had a miserable week of pain and discomfort that manifested overnight as a band of inflammation across my chest, armpit. The vaccine and booster just brought on bruised, swollen, tight feeling at the injection site. Felt like I’d been hit with a bat in the arm, couldn’t sleep on that side for 2-3 nights.

Latest posts

Top Bottom