Do farmers take vacations?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m kind of in the same boat as Retrieverman, my wife and I have been married close to 30 years.

I don’t farm, just raise hay and and cattle and we’ve not been on a vacation yet. We’ve been gone 3-4 days for maybe a funeral or a long-ish weekend trip.

We’re going on our 1st true vacation here in a couple weeks though, one of my buddies is going to check on things while we’re out and about.
Hopefully you’ll have a great vacation. Don’t worry don’t stress, it will all be there when you get back. Enjoy, sounds like you really need this.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I forgot to mention it directly, but if you're thinking about ag as a funding source for your property, check out the Just a Few Acres Farm YouTube channel. He has several videos about running a small farm as a business, which is a very different proposition from homesteading.

You'll also want to talk to the OSU County Extension Agent in the county where your farm will be. You can talk to any agent you want (my dad stuck with the McClain County Extension office even after he moved back to Cleveland County), but the agent in your county is likely to know the situation best. I don't know if they still do, or if other offices do, but the McClain County office used to hold a "Green Acres" (like the TV show) conference for city folks who want to get into the small farm ag business.

Also remember that the best way to make a small fortune in ag is to start with a big one...

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Also check with your local Farm Service Agency and see if they’re co-located with Farm Loan.

They have loans for 1st time farmers and have really cheap loans if you’re interested in going that route.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Oldbuff

Marksman
Reaction score
I think the type of crops or livestock being raised can influence the timing of vacations. For example, a dairy farm may require daily milking and care for the animals, making it more challenging to take extended breaks.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the type of crops or livestock being raised can influence the timing of vacations. For example, a dairy farm may require daily milking and care for the animals, making it more challenging to take extended breaks.

Very true. I knew some farmers up in SW Kansas that their sole income was farming and had nothing to do with livestock except to lease out their crop stubble or wheat pasture to folks that did have cattle. In other words, they tilled, planted, and harvested the crops off of their land. All the rest of their time was spent doing other things. At least two of them spent their extra time working on classic cars.

Latest posts

Top Bottom