Do farmers take vacations?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pete from the Just a Few Acres Farm YouTube channel recently explained why he doesn't raise sheep or goats. His main issue was that there just isn't enough of a market for them where he lives, but he also related what he was told by his "neighbor" at the farmers market. He said they basically ran around and ate and pooped and then randomly keeled over dead for no apparent reason.

I told that to my brother (who raises goats and meat sheep); he laughed and said that sounded about right.
Hogs will die in this heat if you run them just once. DRT! More than one 4Her has found that out at a stock show.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I grew up on a farm and occasionally we took a vacation. Our neighbors were also relatives so it was pretty easy.

What was disheartening to me in my young inexperienced years was our neighbor farmer had just as much land across the road from us, yet went on two week vacations every year. I would start my 160 acres tilling right after harvest and would be on that ground for a week. They would pull into their field with two John Deere 4X4 tractors with 10 bottom plows and plow their field in a week, go on a two week vacation, come back from vacation and I would still be going roundy round with my 190 XT and 20 foot Cook offset disk.

Like I said, damn disheartening.

I did learn a lesson though. Our equipment was paid for and theirs was new to a few years old and he eventually went under while we maintained.
you pulled 20 feet with a 190xt? i'll bet she smoked a little?

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pete from the Just a Few Acres Farm YouTube channel recently explained why he doesn't raise sheep or goats. His main issue was that there just isn't enough of a market for them where he lives, but he also related what he was told by his "neighbor" at the farmers market. He said they basically ran around and ate and pooped and then randomly keeled over dead for no apparent reason.

I told that to my brother (who raises goats and meat sheep); he laughed and said that sounded about right.
We raised them as a school project, 4H and FFA and the wool was a nice bonus. About $10K every year.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Yup! Lol. I watch some of his YouTube channel.

I’m new to hair sheep, but we are enjoying our small starter flock so far. They are finicky though. We have lost a couple to illness. They say a sick sheep is a dead sheep… Also they require more extensive fencing than cattle do. We’re only on 5 acres. Sheep are great for us.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score

I’m new to hair sheep, but we are enjoying our small starter flock so far. They are finicky though. We have lost a couple to illness. They say a sick sheep is a dead sheep… Also they require more extensive fencing than cattle do. We’re only on 5 acres. Sheep are great for us.
Dumb as a rock though..

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

learn to check their eyes for symptoms of internal parasites and your life will be easier. nice thing is the twinning. learn the markets though. they don't market like cattle but the price per pound is quite high if they are the right size weight and condition when the market time hits.

Latest posts

Top Bottom