Do Kids Still Cruise in Their Cars?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As the title states: Do kids still cruise in their cars?

Last night my wife and I had dinner in downtown Edmond. I can remember on a Friday night in Edmond and Midwest City gazillions(yes that's what I said) of kids "hanging out" watching friends and enemies cruise by. Kids cruising with the stereos blasting, laughing, talking smack, pulling into a closed business parking lot with friends and girlfriend(s) having a good time.

I don't know if it's the cost of gas, disinterested in "cool" cars, or just the way fads or trends go.

Cruising on a Friday or Saturday night was a blast. Back then in my little hometown of Chandler....we thought if you had a Blaupunkt or Pioneer stereo with Pioneer or Sony 6x9 speakers with an amplifier you were in the loop.

Cruising main street and making the loop through Sonic then back again. Music playing, yes....even a beer in hand or a little whiskey...both in a Sonic cup so it wouldn't look bad.

I don't remember anyone having ANY accidents. There may have been a few fist fights with the rival school or town kids. Sure you'd go on a road trip with a few buddies into the other rival school's town and try to pick up on their girls or show how loud your stereo was. Then burn a little rubber with the dual tail pipes thumping.

It seemed like we were mature enough to have fun, fight a little, and still be somewhat civil.

Well enough of my old man rambling....just a simple thought that turned into a question.

Heck, I have a neighbor whose son is 18, and still hasn't gotten his drivers license...WTF??!!

I couldn't wait until I was 14 for a motorcycle license then 16 for a car...freedom and girls!!!

**My wife thinks I'm living in my "Fantasy" world by thinking about this***

st.hotrod.com_uploads_sites_21_2011_09_mopp_1111_03_1969_Dodge_Coronet_RT_Convertible.jpg

I guess it's official.....I have become my father..."get off my lawn", "turn that sh*t down", "what??? Speak up" and "No dear, I don't have a hearing problem...yes I'll turn down the TV".

Would someone PLEASE hand me a stiff drink....

tou860

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In Tulsa they meet up at Sonic mostly on Memorial and East 48th but, for me I miss cruising too. I am needing to save up for a sports car, I just like the feeling of driving on a beautiful Saturday night with music blasting cruising and or on a Sunday mid day drive. I do have love for muscle cars, however I am huge import fan love my Honda's, Toyota's, and Nissan's. Plus the sound of a turbo whining and hearing the blow off valve go off is just pure ORGASM.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd bet not as pokinfun pointed out, but you gave me a flashback of the times.. Big cams and carberators, running around with the hood off to show your chrome and set up.. Drive in movies with hideaways in the trunk.. Smoking rubber at stop lights, quarter mile at the country strait a way.. 50 cent gas, fogging up the windows.. It was called HAPPY DAYS, then we grew up.. Technology advances but mankind regresses.. Too bad there's no rewind button like on the 8 track or cassette players..

kennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to cruise Edmond all through my high school years. During my senior year, Edmond started pulling kids over if they saw you more than twice on the cruise and writing tickets. Other cities started doing it and the cruise started to die. Moore used to be huge and they did the same thing. I wish they would still do it and cruise. It was a blast.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
8 track tape players....HOLY SHEEET!!! In 1980/81 we (buddies) had specific music on those old 8 tracks!!!

Rock with the 8 track....crank it loud...if you couldn't be heard a 1/2 a city block away....you didn't have sh*t for a stereo!!!

This was our slow and in low(gear) music.

When crusing with the "Brothers" and the car was full of soooooo much ...ummm, well, smoke...it looked like we had a fog machine in the car. Definitely slow and cruzzzzzzzzzzzin'.

With my rodeo buddies.... Tallboy Coors and Miller.

SdoubleA

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hello, my name is Dave......and I'm a cruiser.

Many of today's young pups wouldn't have a clue as to how to cruise if they had too...even if they could find an ap for it!

I enjoyed the lifestyle of cruising back in the fifties when drive-inns were king and the majority of the cars were customs. It was a ball, though sometimes laced with violence. The sixties added more of the factory cars with a Detroit type of muscle rather than the hand built rods and customs. Cruising was still alive, but some of the flavor was waning from earlier days. It seems the sixties brought us many more wannabe tough guys, rather than the honest to goodness ones that were on the strip, let alone the surfer sh*t up and coming music.

The seventies? I traded the blade and knucks in for two forty-fives. Cruising had changed. Nam and the new society had changed many of us.

Seventeen years ago, I gathered many old cruisers together and we have been cruising ever since. You should see some of the looks we get from the kids today.

We were cruisers once......and young.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom