Do Share - Where are you going to be Oct 1st opening bow season?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not far from Thunderbird and was asking a buddy of mine about hunting there. He said he's been a couple time and the last two times there he worked hard to get as far back and out of the way as possible. After getting set up in his stand, as it was just getting light, he said he heard a bunch of ruckus, and then watched as some guy came barreling through the woods, appearing in a hurry to get to some spot before full light. He said after that happened a few times he gave up on the area.

Yup, thats just a normal day there. There have been plenty of days where im sitting in my stand when someone shows up just before shooting light, flashlight on, stomping through forest, making a bunch of noise hanging a stand etc.etc.
One time 6 trucks pulled up right at legal light in this tiny area. 2-3 guys in each truck. Took them ~30 mins to get settled in their stands. I waited for things to settle down, then I left, making a bunch of noise. :finger: (rake me over the coals if you want IDGAF)

That is one reason I like being on the ground where I can move. Now, I tend to show up 1-2 hours before legal light and walk in deep.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
No kidding. I'm not looking forward to teenage twins. That's a lot of angst. Lol

Just get guns and bows in their hands early, killing pop cans and such. I officially became the parent of a teen Saturday, and after 3 days of it, so far so good lol. Get them out doing some "man stuff" every once in a while :) We'll be in the stand somewhere all weekend, she's trying to poke her first one with a compound.

i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_ocbr_202016_Screenshot_2016_09_25_00_19_40_zpsxkk86tji.png

i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_ocbr_202016_Screenshot_2016_09_25_00_20_04_zpsydgg0i0b.png

i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_ocbr_202016_Screenshot_2016_09_25_00_25_01_zps2sv2b9ot.png

Last edited:

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yup, thats just a normal day there. There have been plenty of days where im sitting in my stand when someone shows up just before shooting light, flashlight on, stomping through forest, making a bunch of noise hanging a stand etc.etc.
One time 6 trucks pulled up right at legal light in this tiny area. 2-3 guys in each truck. Took them ~30 mins to get settled in their stands. I waited for things to settle down, then I left, making a bunch of noise. :finger: (rake me over the coals if you want IDGAF)

That is one reason I like being on the ground where I can move. Now, I tend to show up 1-2 hours before legal light and walk in deep.
I understand completely. I have a cousin that let me hunt on a meadow last year. Unfortunately they told a local guy in the area that he could too. Never failed, I would get out there before daylight, get all set up and be watching the deer pop out here and there. Then I'd see it, just about sunrise, a white truck with his lights on come driving right across the meadow between me and my intended targets. Soooo frustrating. Of course after that the deer I was seeing were pretty much gone for good. Then he would go to the middle of the meadow and hunt from his tuck.... geeze. Think I'm going to try and get my cuz to let me hide the gate keys this year.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just get guns and bows in their hands early, killing pop cans and such. I officially became the parent of a teen Saturday, and after 3 days of it, so far so good lol. Get them out doing some "man stuff" every once in a while :) We'll be in the stand somewhere all weekend, she's trying to poke her first one with a compound.

I'd say you've done a fine job, Okie. I hope my kids enjoy hunting and fishing with me, but if not, I'll enjoy doing their stuff with them.

As to public land, yeah, it's very frustrating, especially if you're hunting at a WMA that is so close to a large populace. It doesn't matter how far you go, you'll always run into someone. It's a part of it. I don't really mind as long as they're respectful and give some space. Sure, it makes that hunt feel like a bust, but deer aren't dumb and will often come through not terribly long after a human has busted brush.

Provided those frustrations, it's extremely rewarding to even take a doe, let alone a mature buck, on public land. There's so much more outside of your control than with private land.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I'd say you've done a fine job, Okie. I hope my kids enjoy hunting and fishing with me, but if not, I'll enjoy doing their stuff with them.

As to public land, yeah, it's very frustrating, especially if you're hunting at a WMA that is so close to a large populace. It doesn't matter how far you go, you'll always run into someone. It's a part of it. I don't really mind as long as they're respectful and give some space. Sure, it makes that hunt feel like a bust, but deer aren't dumb and will often come through not terribly long after a human has busted brush.

Provided those frustrations, it's extremely rewarding to even take a doe, let alone a mature buck, on public land. There's so much more outside of your control than with private land.

My son could take it or leave it, seems to enjoy it sometimes, and not so much other times. Really enjoys running trap lines with me, but the hunting he's kind of either way, I think it's the sitting part lol.

Latest posts

Top Bottom