Does anyone know if you can shoot shotguns at U.S. Shooting Academy in tulsa ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not any more.
Screenshot_20230828_215921_Chrome.jpg

Steve2020

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is David Reeh still the owner ? Did it get bought out by someone else?

I shot shotguns there because allowed in 2016 and the owner David Reeh was there and gave me a tour of the place

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Couple years back I was there on one of a very limited number of range days I get per year. Between my travel schedule and dad schedule, I don't get range time that much. When I do, it's usually an all day marathon. This was no different. Friend and I showed up early, shot till he left around 1400 and then I stayed till RO was coming by saying it was kick us out time.

During these marathon days I usually just load the back of the truck up heavy, with lots of different projects and toys to play with. And always an empty can for brass, because while I probably have more money than time, they are not far apart and reloading is required for some of the dumb calibers I have. So basically I shoot a set, check target, police brass on the way back to the bench. When my buddy was there, he'd do the same, except that he gave me his because he doesn't reload.

Been making USSA range trips out there for years like this.

Anyways, about a month later, I have a couple hours to kill and I wanted to finish some testing on the 22-250 project I'd been doing that might have finally been getting dialed in. So I decided to piss my wife off, delay a honey do list item and contribute my $20 to USSA.

Problem was, I get there and the girl behind the counter says I can't go shoot. They scan my license and the computer says I'm black flagged and can't use the facilities till I talk to the owner. Who won't be there for an hour.

So I waste an hour waiting in the parking lot till David shows up and what followed was a 30 minute argument in the lobby about how he was accusing me of stealing HIS brass. The RO (forget his name) gets called in and gets put in the position of contradict me or the owner, which didn't go my way. I felt this was an extra insult since we'd chatted quite a bit on the day in question and I had no beef with the guy.

I should have guessed something like this might be coming since David was doing his drive around and then park and watch thing on the day in question. Apparently he didn't watch too close though. He said the range was "picked clean" which it wasn't. Said I wasn't shooting, which I was. Apparently didn't check that I was there nearly 12 hours, like my dude in 12 hours I could clean ever piece of good brass from most all the lanes.

Anyways, at the end of it he basically said "sorry for the misunderstanding and trouble --- did you shoot yet today" to which I incredulously reminded him that he had black balled me from shooting so no I had not. Then he offered "well sorry, if you want to go its free". I said I didn't have time to setup and do what I wanted before close and I was certainly not taking a freebie after being accused of being a thief.

I left and have never been back, nor do I plan on it. I got signed up at Red Castle. On average I get out maybe 2-3 times per year and I'll gladly pay Red Castle's membership fees rather than paying what would be cheaper rates at USSA. And that doesn't even take into account how the facilities themselves have gone down amongst other issues I'd had with them before this incident.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shot matches out there almost every weekend for a couple of years. The "don't pick up my brass" thing has been in effect for a long time. Even before the current owner.
I also have a couple of oddball calibers that I'd shoot after the match since I'd already paid and picked them up but didn't police the entire range.
I was amazed at the amount of brass that was beat into the ground or left laying that could have been picked up by the range on the pistol bays. Yet, a paying customer wasn't allowed to do so according to the "rules".

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The part that really cheesed me off is that I had just finished cleaning/sorting the brass from that day about a week before. I wound up with slightly more 223 than I shot, but slightly less 9/40 than I shot. I did get all my oddballs back though for sure since they were fired from bolt platforms. So out of a few thousand cases I was +/- about 5% between what I shot and what I picked up ---and that includes getting the brass from my friend that day. So if anything I was on the low side and well within the "you can pick up your own" rules.

Latest posts

Top Bottom