Tell me about dates (fruit)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We had a tree in the yard when I lived in Algiers when I was a kid. I loved 'em. We had a fig tree, too, that grew these massive, apple-sized figs. They were really good.
I love figs when I was a kid fig newtons were the only fig product I had ever had until I was in the army.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Stuff with goat cheese, wrap with bacon, bake.

Serve with some nice cheeses and a dry red wine.

I’ve always wanted to try this recipe, to go with a nice tri tip.
https://californiagrown.org/recipes/baked-beans-recipes/
Make date bars. My recipe is pretty much like this, except I add a touch of lemon juice and a touch of vanilla to the filling as well. Last time I subbed half the sugar for brown sugar and I preferred doing that as wel.
https://mycountrytable.com/date-bars/
Eat by themselves. They’re too sweet to eat too many anyways.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Larabars are mostly made of dates, so you can look at their nutritional data for an idea of that, as well as ideas for flavoring. They take on other flavors really well.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve used them as a sugar substitute in quick-breads……think pumpkin bread. I have a recipe if that’s something you’d want to try. A nutritionist put me on a very low “added sugar” diet and it worked great!

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
They’re like candy. I eat them all the time as is. Bite in half and nomnom and pull the giant ass seed out and finish.
IDK what all this BS is about hellfire out your ass if you eat them. You’d have to eat an entire box and then maybe. Sounds like a load of crap if you ask me, pun intended.
I eat like 2-4 when I have a craving for a candy bar or some other garbage.

Latest posts

Top Bottom