Dog training space

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Might be a big ask, but I figure I would give it a shot. I’m working on training my 14 week old Drahthaar puppy. The yard and local parks work pretty well for what I need some of the time, but I could use some space to work on more off leash training and gun sensitivity. My breeder would allow me to use land near him, but at $60 in gas round trip, it’s a tough pill to swallow. I was wondering if anyone on here has a field/pasture within 30 minutes of Edmond that I could make use of a few times, would be firing blanks and releasing a few birds/rabbits for training and some tracking practice. Doesn’t need to be huge, a few acres would be plenty I feel, just need something I could get away with placing game and firing blanks without nosey people losing their minds. I would be happy to sign an agreement and pay a small fee or provide some sort of a service for the privilege. Feel free to shoot me a PM about it.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Male or female? One of the guys I duck hunt with has a 4yo male. Great dog, but probably the most stubborn, hard headed animal I've ever been around lol. They don't make a shock collar that has a high enough level. I'm no help on the training area sorry.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you have your hunting license, look for a WMA. Lexington is a little bit farther away than 30 minutes, but you could probably get away with firing blanks, or even live rounds, at its range.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Male or female? One of the guys I duck hunt with has a 4yo male. Great dog, but probably the most stubborn, hard headed animal I've ever been around lol. They don't make a shock collar that has a high enough level. I'm no help on the training area sorry.
Male. He’s extremely stubborn already, but eager for approval, so I’m working of exploiting that as much as possible.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Appreciate what you are trying to do, good to train them young and they will be loyal forever. I had to put my 17 yo down a little while back. Yes, I have space. No I am not close to you, way fruther than $60 in gas. Sorry

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you have your hunting license, look for a WMA. Lexington is a little bit farther away than 30 minutes, but you could probably get away with firing blanks, or even live rounds, at its range.
Yeah, the two closest, Lexington and deep fork WMAs are both an hour and ten minutes away. It’s closer to drive down to my breeders place.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Male. He’s extremely stubborn already, but eager for approval, so I’m working of exploiting that as much as possible.
Very versatile dog, and has a kill/predator instinct like no other I've seen. Other small dogs, cats, coons even skunks. If they give him the slightest chance, he'll take them out. That behavior didn't start until he was about 2.5yo. He grew up with my two labs since they brought him home as a pup. Zero issues with my two labs, hunted full seasons with each and no issues, but then on season 3, we couldn't let out guard down or he'd be trying to mix it up with my labs. Both of my labs are/were neutered, the Draht isn't. Never aggressive to any person ever though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom