Don't know about the deer, but the coons love my corn

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lets hear it...

All you guys that hate coons, I'd love to come call and hunt them after deer season is over!

I would like to hear more about this calling in coons. I have called coyotes many times, and once had 4 coons come in to a rabbit in distress, but only once. None left alive. I got 3 of them with a 30-30 and a buddy got 1 with an auto loader .243. That was back when I lived by the old philosophy of beware of the man with only 1 rifle, because he knows how to use it.

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have Harry Houdini raccoons out in Osage County. I keep finding the bait gone and the trap door shut but nothing in the trap. No breaches in the wire either. Very weird.

For the record, I do not like raccoons.

Bryan

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
.22 in the head.
dump em out of the trap and reset it.
Sorry if that sounds cold, but coons don't have any regret taking out a turkey's nest, and the coyotes have to eats something as well.

Jamie: I wish we had time to bury them fellas.
Josey Wales: To hell with them fellas. Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have Harry Houdini raccoons out in Osage County. I keep finding the bait gone and the trap door shut but nothing in the trap. No breaches in the wire either. Very weird.

For the record, I do not like raccoons.

Bryan

Ok, I know what your problem is.
The coons are reaching through the wire pulling the bait to the side and eating it, meanwhile in thrashing about the outside of the trap, the triggering mechanism releases and closes the doors.

What I do is take a steel rod a couple of feet long, and sharpen one end of it. Set your trap, and put the bait in a cat food can ( I use salmon flavored catfood for bait) behind the trip pan in the center of the trap. take the steel rod, and go through the top of the trap into the center of the catfood can, and push the sharpened end through the can and into the ground.
This will prevent the coons from tipping your trap and setting it off and robbing your bait.

Latest posts

Top Bottom