Don't understand how OESC figures things. Semi Rant.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man, I never understand how the OESC operates. It sure would be nice if they advocated just a little for the employer once in a while.

Had an employee walk out on me last month. No notice, nothing. She was one of two women that operated my front desk.
First woman gave two weeks notice. Leaving due to military orders.
Without someone in that position, the business effectively would not be able to operate.

Told the second one (part timer) that she would have to fill in Monday and Tuesday afternoons until another person was hired.

This would have been in addition to her normal schedule. But, she has done this several times in the past three years, when the other position was on vacation. It had been agreed to when she was hired that when position 2 was vacant, she would fill in as a full timer in position 1.

Next day, she meets me in my office and says “since my choices are full time or no time, I’m taking no time.” Hands me her key and walks out. Just left me sputtering.

OESC gave her unemployment benefits for quitting!!!

I’m appealing the decision, but they rarely rule in favor of the employer.

Sucks.

Dave

gl89aw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I fired 2 employees for theft of an expensive shop tool. I had a minimum of 2 witnesses to them loading it up and hauling it out on the night shift. They appealed and won because the jerk in O.C. believed their story that they were just borrowing it.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man, I never understand how the OESC operates. It sure would be nice if they advocated just a little for the employer once in a while.

Had an employee walk out on me last month. No notice, nothing. She was one of two women that operated my front desk.
First woman gave two weeks notice. Leaving due to military orders.
Without someone in that position, the business effectively would not be able to operate.

Told the second one (part timer) that she would have to fill in Monday and Tuesday afternoons until another person was hired.

This would have been in addition to her normal schedule. But, she has done this several times in the past three years, when the other position was on vacation. It had been agreed to when she was hired that when position 2 was vacant, she would fill in as a full timer in position 1.

Next day, she meets me in my office and says “since my choices are full time or no time, I’m taking no time.” Hands me her key and walks out. Just left me sputtering.

OESC gave her unemployment benefits for quitting!!!

I’m appealing the decision, but they rarely rule in favor of the employer.

Sucks.

Dave

Ya sucks, but there is no law that a person has to give 2 weeks notice. Oklahoma is also a employment at will state, which means either party can end the employment at any time for any reason.

Upside is you no longer have a person who is not loyal to the office, and you do not have to give her a glowing recommendation if any future employers call about her.

chodrick

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I let a guy go when I was Managing a tire store. He would damage wheels, scratch body panels, not torque lugs and then have wheel offs,etc. I covered it with him each time so I'd have a trail of paperwork with his signature. He signed the document that stated next time he damaged a customers vehicle he would be let go. The next week he drove a customers car into another customers car. It cost over $5000 in damages between the two as one was a newer Lexus. I let him go and then got the papers stating he was filing for unemployment on us. I copied all the documents detailing the damage he'd cause on several occaissions including the ones with his signatures and sent them on. Apparently you can't fire someone for being... get this "Accident Prone" :scratch:

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ya sucks, but there is no law that a person has to give 2 weeks notice. Oklahoma is also a employment at will state, which means either party can end the employment at any time for any reason.

Upside is you no longer have a person who is not loyal to the office, and you do not have to give her a glowing recommendation if any future employers call about her.

I'd be careful with that. There's a reason why folks who specialize in the hiring and firing department (The Personnel Department) give out hire date and last day of actual work, nothing more, nothing less. I think some will also tell you if a person is eligible for rehire or not, but not the reasoning behind it. (Not me ... My reasoning was if you crack the door someone's liable to actually kick it in on you! ;) )

Ratski, that sucks ... You might actually have a pretty solid case from what you've posted here. I did a little stint at OESC as a 999 employee ... E-mail me and I'll see if I can help you out with wording in your response if you want.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have had to dispute many unemployment claims. Only only one has been lost that should have not been. His supervisor was not the best at getting the information needed written down for future reference. His memory was fuzzy and I had nothing to go on that was concrete.

Write out your dispute as clearly as you can. Make it clear that she left on her own choice and not yours.

At least you aren't dealing with a claim that the employee is no longer employeed for the following reason. "I was to tall to do my job and I had to bend over alot." Yes I had that from a concrete worker that lasted a month. This was the type of claim that the person would submit to see if they could get some money out of the state. Unfortunately with the way things are at work we have had to lay quite a few people off in the past 2 years. Now our unemployment contribution rate in OK is insane.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have had to dispute many unemployment claims. Only only one has been lost that should have not been. His supervisor was not the best at getting the information needed written down for future reference. His memory was fuzzy and I had nothing to go on that was concrete.

Write out your dispute as clearly as you can. Make it clear that she left on her own choice and not yours.

At least you aren't dealing with a claim that the employee is no longer employeed for the following reason. "I was to tall to do my job and I had to bend over alot." Yes I had that from a concrete worker that lasted a month. This was the type of claim that the person would submit to see if they could get some money out of the state. Unfortunately with the way things are at work we have had to lay quite a few people off in the past 2 years. Now our unemployment contribution rate in OK is insane.

LOL ... and I thought I had heard it all ...

onearmedman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was laid-off by the State VA center last year, along with 14 others, I didn't expect any issued with my UI claim. However, the VA center drafted a letter to OESC claiming that I was canned for "excessive unscheduled sick-leave and performance below standards. Lucky for me they had nothing to substantiate their lies. Those of you who have worked for the state, you are likely familiar with "medical certification, a status you are placed on if you have too many sick days. At that point, if you call in sick, you can't return to work without a Dr's release. I was not on that status since I didn't have that many sick days. As for performance, I had a copy of my annual review, signed by the director, stating that I met standards in all areas and no problem issues were documented. So, the claim was approved.
I don't understand why these other claims were ruled against you guys. I'd think the state would have clear-cut regs spelling out what was go/no-go for claims...

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's part of what makes the entire system such a crap-shoot ... there are liars and cheats on both sides of the fence.

Same with all the other programs out there ... the liars and cheats make it really rough on the honest, hard-working folks to actually get what they earned.

Latest posts

Top Bottom