How can I collect on a bad check ? “UPDATE”

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In regards to calling/visiting her bank to see if the check will clear, most of the bigger banks won’t tell you anymore. I used to do it all the time, but it typically doesn’t work anymore. Depending on the amount of the check, the DA or small claims court are your best options. Another “country boy” option is to see if there is anything of value around their house and load it up. I’m not giving advice to do this, and I have never done that.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
These days, I don't think I'd take personal checks. I know you get dinged on cards, but I'd adjust prices a bit to cover it. Or, is there a portable way, or app to scan and immediately process checks going forward? I remember some retail business used to run checks and hand them back to you at POS.

None of which helps with this one. Good luck collecting.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Really sorry you were ripped off. If I may ask, how much money are we talking about here? I know the inclination is to force them to do the right thing but at some point you’ll have to ask yourself is the time and energy you’ll spend pursuing this flake worth it? Running a business you have to accept that this garbage will happen from time to time and it’s just a cost of doing business. Now you may say yes, it is worthy then by all means take her to court. I’m not suggesting you shouldn’t, simply evaluate your situation and that you make the best decision from there. My step-son runs a rather large business that does work all over the country. One of their POS workers, a black guy decided that he was going to play the “race card” and created some total BS story. Ryan discussed it with their corporate attorney who advised to just pay the lowlife the $40K and be done with it. While they’d most definitely win the case after factoring in their time, investigation and attorney costs they’d be money ahead so that’s what they did. Apparently this wasn’t the first time this scumbag pulled this crap which was found out only after the fact.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Really sorry you were ripped off. If I may ask, how much money are we talking about here? I know the inclination is to force them to do the right thing but at some point you’ll have to ask yourself is the time and energy you’ll spend pursuing this flake worth it? Running a business you have to accept that this garbage will happen from time to time and it’s just a cost of doing business. Now you may say yes, it is worthy then by all means take her to court. I’m not suggesting you shouldn’t, simply evaluate your situation and that you make the best decision from there. My step-son runs a rather large business that does work all over the country. One of their POS workers, a black guy decided that he was going to play the “race card” and created some total BS story. Ryan discussed it with their corporate attorney who advised to just pay the lowlife the $40K and be done with it. While they’d most definitely win the case after factoring in their time, investigation and attorney costs they’d be money ahead so that’s what they did. Apparently this wasn’t the first time this scumbag pulled this crap which was found out only after the fact.
And that is why they (the scumbags) does this is cause they know they will get paid and have no consequences for their actions.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you haven’t already, I think they run it twice through, if you haven’t, then do so. If not, perhaps knock on her door; address is on the check and explain it didn’t go through as I am sure it was a mistake but you need her help :)

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
go to the bank that the check was written on and show the check to the teller but don't run it. ask the teller if there is enough money in the account to clear the check and if there is then cash the check rite then and there. if the account has just a few dollars shy and if it pleases you then you can make a deposit into the account for the few dollars that are short and then turn around and cash the check.
Or you can put a hold on the account, if she is using the account just to cash checks (social security). When she uses the account, you will get paid.

Notify other banks in the area, also. She may have multiple accounts.

Contact the DA. They will do a lot to get your money.

XYZ

Ribertarian
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Might check with this guy. He hangs out down by the Farmers Market in OKC.

6DB17023-CD18-49F8-8DBA-DDF4D7ED2233.jpeg

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Old locksmith i trained under used to say better for them to owe you than to beat you out of it... of course he had people all over town that owed him money.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A mechanic, I knew, would take checks down to Alibabah's check cashing store.
Depending on amount, usually cost $3-$5. Get his cash and let them deal with it.
Not scrupulous, but HE thought it funny. Said it "was their business"

Latest posts

Top Bottom