Dove loads

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleeperx4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm going to try dove hunting for the first time and I'm wondering what size load you guys would suggest using. Also what choke works best on dove? BTW I'll be using a Mossberg 835.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And depending on how your gun patterns the load you choose, either IC, or Modified would be your best bet. Dove are hard to hit. Some can fly backwards. LOL

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hunt them with everything in the gun case from the.410 to the SXS 12.
Like everybody has said, 7 1/2-8 shot. Doves don't require lots of hits to take them down.

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with everything above. Pattern your gun. You dont want any gaps in your pattern. I have had really good results using my skeet loads: 20 gauge 9 shot.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with everything above. Pattern your gun. You dont want any gaps in your pattern. I have had really good results using my skeet loads: 20 gauge 9 shot.

+1 on checking your pattern.
We shot clays tonight. We had 5 shooters in a backyard type of shoot. It was interesting to see who "dusted" the clay bird and who knocked off pieces.
The shots just knocking off pieces, can be blamed on several factors, like holes in the pattern, or getting the lead to far in front of, or behind the clay.
The one that have their stuff together, dust them every time, and others consistantly just break them. Keeping the head down and following through with the shot will make all the difference.
Some people need to follow their own advice.:cry11:

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the choke to use use also depends on the distance the birds are flying from you. I have had mornings where they were right on top of me all morning. but some mornings the spot i am in, the birds are a long ways off. so between IC and MOD, one is in the gun and one is in my pocket to change out if I need to.

if you have an O/U, like what was said, IC and MOD hard to beat.

u probably know this, but take some cold water and a chair/bucket to the field. I also have a hand towel to wipe the sweet from my face.

good luck.

Latest posts

Top Bottom