DPMS trigger/barrel change

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aerodoc

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
To make my new DPMS LR-308 sub moa what barrel and trigger would you suggest? I didnt make any changes when i ordered it so its all stock. I know the trigger that comes with it is heavy and not of the best quality but i dont know about the barrel. Or what i should change it to. I deer hunt with my Weatherby .270 but would like the option to use this gun as well so i would like to make it as accurate as i can.

angsniper

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
To make my new DPMS LR-308 sub moa what barrel and trigger would you suggest? I didnt make any changes when i ordered it so its all stock. I know the trigger that comes with it is heavy and not of the best quality but i dont know about the barrel. Or what i should change it to. I deer hunt with my Weatherby .270 but would like the option to use this gun as well so i would like to make it as accurate as i can.

My factory barrel on my LR308 was a tent stake. I replaced it with an 18" Kreiger barrel and now it's sub MOA. As far as the trigger goes I have had both a chip mcCormick match and a stock trigger that had been worked by Bill Springfield. To tell you the truth I couldn't tell the triggers apart except for the cost. Bill does fine trigger work.http://www.triggerwork.net/

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well everyday you learn something new. angsniper's barrel is the very first DPMS LR barrel that I have heard of that isn't 3/4 MOA or better right from the factory. As for triggers the Gold drop in trigger would be your best choice for a .308, or a J.P. Enterprises trigger kit. I have the J.P. in mine, and it is a nice 2 3/4 lb. trigger. It is hard to get a .308 trigger much better as you need a pretty good hammer spring to light some of the crap folks try to feed them. If you reload you can get them down around 2 1/4-2 1/2. I would really doubt that it would need a new barrel, give yours a chance first. KurtM

THE JOKER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well everyday you learn something new. angsniper's barrel is the very first DPMS LR barrel that I have heard of that isn't 3/4 MOA or better right from the factory. As for triggers the Gold drop in trigger would be your best choice for a .308, or a J.P. Enterprises trigger kit. I have the J.P. in mine, and it is a nice 2 3/4 lb. trigger. It is hard to get a .308 trigger much better as you need a pretty good hammer spring to light some of the crap folks try to feed them. If you reload you can get them down around 2 1/4-2 1/2. I would really doubt that it would need a new barrel, give yours a chance first. KurtM

Are the Timmey AR15 drop in triggers any good? I have seen them for $170

aerodoc

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
K, thanks for the help. Im gonna have a buddy load me up some shellls and give that a shot. I think thatll be the thing im lookin for. As for the trigger its just heavy i think ill have it worked on. Its fine the way it is i just dont like a heavy trigger. This forum is great, no other place to get info than years of exp. from a range of shooters. Have a safe and good holiday....

Josh-L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well everyday you learn something new. angsniper's barrel is the very first DPMS LR barrel that I have heard of that isn't 3/4 MOA

I've seen three more that wouldn't hold even moa.

As for the trigger the non-adj. Jard is my pick.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wellllll..............Who was behind it Josh?

I once let a "good shot" shoot my bench rest rifle, 16# of pure accuracy. After 3, 5 round groups around 3-4" @ 100 yards, he said "it,s ok but I wouldn't want to try to hunt with it". My rifle, he was shooting, holds 3- 3 1/4" groups for 5 rounds at 800 yards and had won the ITRC twice with the load he was shooting.

I have seen LOT,S of "2 MOA rifles" shot at the range...but I haven't seen too many DPMS rifles that wouldn't hold 3/4 MOA, depending on who is behind it!. I have also seen a whole bunch of 2 MOA rifles that once fed good ammo be sub MOA.

Quote of 2009...."This M1A you built is crap it won't group better than 8" at 100 yards. Your bedding job sucks and isn't worth the money!" Stated as he loaded the next 20 round magazine of Pakistani ball loaded in the 70s. This rilfe would hold 3/4 MOA @ 200 yards with M118 special ball...which is ok ammo but not great compaired to a good reload! KurtM

Josh-L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't need to defend my position just stating that I have seen other 308 DPMS guns that had factory sewer barrels or chambers and had nothing to do with the shooter or ammo.

Latest posts

Top Bottom