Drones/Hogs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
What would it cost a man to get into a complete set up good enough to check some traps and check ponds. Say, at least a half mile radius, preferably more?
You can pick up a good used DJI phantom 3 for $200-$400'ish (depending on what it comes with). We live in far NE Oklahoma, it's all hills and valleys here and I had no problems with it going 1/2 mile radius easily. I put an Argtek range extender on it and then could go out well over a mile (much further if the ground is flat). If you want to get real fancy, you can even load software that will allow you to have way-points that it stops and checks automatically for you.

Every coyote and deer hunter should check out drones too. You would not believe how useful they are for finding critter routes. They're easy to operate too, even a neanderthal can do it!

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use my drone quite often to look for the hogs out where I hunt. Its a lot of ground to try and cover walking, so sometimes Ill just pull in the gate and send the drone around to scan the fields and creek. It would definitely help to use a tablet rather than your cell phone to see when you are flying, otherwise you may not even notice some of the animals until you get home and watch the video on a bigger screen.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use my drone quite often to look for the hogs out where I hunt. Its a lot of ground to try and cover walking, so sometimes Ill just pull in the gate and send the drone around to scan the fields and creek. It would definitely help to use a tablet rather than your cell phone to see when you are flying, otherwise you may not even notice some of the animals until you get home and watch the video on a bigger screen.

That's happened to me more than once. Generally, when I watch the video later it's like "Crap! I didn't notice I was that close to that tree!"

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can pick up a good used DJI phantom 3 for $200-$400'ish (depending on what it comes with). We live in far NE Oklahoma, it's all hills and valleys here and I had no problems with it going 1/2 mile radius easily. I put an Argtek range extender on it and then could go out well over a mile (much further if the ground is flat). If you want to get real fancy, you can even load software that will allow you to have way-points that it stops and checks automatically for you.

Every coyote and deer hunter should check out drones too. You would not believe how useful they are for finding critter routes. They're easy to operate too, even a neanderthal can do it!

Thanks for the info. Thats going to be on down the road.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Many times I watch birds circling in an area and walk to that area and find deer or hogs.
They may only circle a couple times but they did see something down there that was out of place.

Remember fishing and watching where the birds were swooping.
Works pretty good.

Buddy has a 40 lb dog that was laying in the yard and looked up to see a big bird circling him.
He does not like going outside much now and sure won't nap in the yard.

Latest posts

Top Bottom