• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to OKShooters Association and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member

Want To Buy Hog Trap Needed ASAP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilcountry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thanks for all the input. Probably going to make the coral trap that @Oklahomabassin recommended. Seems very simple to make and very effective.

What do you put in them for bait?
We've used soured corn. Soak it in water with yeast added, and let it set a week or so. Hogs love it and we hope it discourages the deer from eating it.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Deer will eat soured corn, and they will also munch down Dieseled corn. Pigs do tend to rub around in diesel spill areas, but not when it is real fresh, so if you go the diesel corn way mix it up and let it sit for a bit, but don't expect anything you do to corn to keep other creatures off it. The one thing that seems to bring pigs in more than most is corn and water slurries with LOTS of Kool Aid mixed in like fruit punch, cherry, etc.

antkiller

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Have thermal and will travel. But as others have said pigs are smart and will wise up quick to normal traps. When we used our trap would have to move it out of the area for quite a while before setting it again or they would just walk around it no matter what you enticed them with. This was the primary reason for thermal purchase but wildlife department killed about 700 last summer in our area and we haven’t seen nearly as many since, but they will come back.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Yes they will. The organization I do abatement for had many of them and they were tearing up all sorts of stuff. We have kept constant pressure on them for about 5 years by night shooting. They tried trapping, but there were obviously more traps neighboring this section and not one single pig would go near them. We even had one large group that learned not to touch corn at all. We constantly switch up what we feed them, but finally we haven't seen a single pig on the cameras for almost 3 months, and so far this year no damage. We use head mounted Gen 3 devices and N.V. compatable red dots. We have found that it's a real pain to scan with a rifle mounted Thermal/gen 3 sight. We also found that as long as you pay attention to the wind and walk moderately quietly you can easily get within 15-30 yards of them, and there have been a couple times I have shot the first ones at less than 10 yards. It has been quite a learning experience, and I can tell you there is TONS of lore and misinformation about pigs out there. It wasn't uncommon for us to spend 3-4 nights a week 3-5 hours a night for several years. I soon realized if someone tells you they know what pigs will do, they have mostly hunted them from their keyboard. There are a few on here that absolutely know what they are doing Oklahoma basin and the Hooligan come to mind, but there are others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
2e051d05-c785-48f6-8d09-9b7f9824d7f8.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I know nothing about pig hunting/trapping only taking two in my lifetime, but I've learned by watching these threads. We just don't have them in Grant County except for one incident right on the border with Kay county where the GW in conjunction with the landowner
trapped the 16 that were coming into a feeder. Got them all.
Grant was the last county in Ok to not have a pig population, and I hope we never do.

jackinok09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would love to come and shoot some. i Haven’t been in hog hunting in about 8 years now. 😎
Lots of good info online about building (relatively) low cost hog traps. I personally use the guillotine type doors and they work well. Just a few tips I've found works for me. My current trap is @45 ft across and has 3- 4ft wide doors that close at once when tripped. I use a pull pin type trigger , not a rooting type, and found it to be very reliable. If possible set your trap up in brush or wooded area and don't clear the inside except as needed to set panels.hogs like cover and that also increases your chances of catching during the day. I use a auto feeder and feed constantly throughout the year. Gates are propped open until a sounder is used to using the gates, and come in often. I've used various feeds but plain corn has worked best for me as hogs in my county are used to feeding at deer feeders. IF you use a liquid such as diesel, strawberry soda, etc mix your feed and let it soak a few days then drain it well before you pour it in a automatic feeder.most of these timers are not very waterproof especially around the feed spin plate, and you'll often ruin your timer. Lastly and maybe most important. Be VERY careful about the scent you leave when setting trap or filling feeder. Hogs have a surprisingly good sense of smell and unless they are used to feeding around humans on a regular basis will often abandon the area of your trap for several days. I use a trail cam that sends pictures to my phone also to cut down on number of trips to the trap.last bit don't leave trapped hogs inside any longer that absolutely needed.their squealing alerts and warns every other hog in area. And be especially careful when you go to empty trap. Often you'll catch a lot of young hogs and the old momma sow will hang around trying to protect or release them. I 've had as many as 4 old sows hanging around when I went up to trap.

rifleman 1981

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 84.6%
21   4   1
I have 3 remote traps set out, and we have caught over 1000 pigs in the last 5 years. Diesel will definitely take the deer factor down to a minimum, and the pigs definitely evolve extremely fast. If you let one get away or get out, he can and will steer a whole heard away from a trap. I’d second renting a remote trap and going that route. Shooting them is way more fun but it’s not a 10th as effective as trapping them is. Same with running dogs, all you do is catch a couple and scare and scatter the rest. I run dogs, and hunt and there’s nothing even remotely close to being as effective as a good trap. I think our best single catch is 47.

Attachments

• IMG_5806.jpeg
    IMG_5806.jpeg
    282.2 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Top Bottom