dry firing question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spooln-Rex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the only thing i have ever heard of it being bad to dry fire is a rimfire type firearm. all center fire weapons should be fine but im no expert by any means. I just know it will fubar the rimfire setup if you dont have a cartridge in the chamber like a snap cap or the like.

okiebowhunter

New to the site!
Reaction score
This may not be the proper answer, but I always assumed it was not good due to the lack of resistance when the firing pin hits "bottom." The result would be more metal wear. On a side note, I alway use a spent case. I color the case head red or black so they are easily identified. Snap caps are good too. Though, the only time I really dry fire is when I am adjusting/tuning a trigger.

Joseph

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It has to due with the shape of the firing pin and/or the heat treating. Basically when you look at fp's they are either very long with a straight taper or a short radius step down (sks,smle, M1 carb and Garand,etc) which hold up to dryfiring, or no taper but have a long radius step down 1/4-1/2" or more (win 94, model 12,marlin 336) which are more prone to breakage. Some companies harden the pin but don't anneal it enough in the right place, it will work for thousands of rounds without a problem (cause its hitting something) but let it slam its shoulder into the back of the bolt a few times unsupported and it will snap off.

Latest posts

Top Bottom