E911 causing address to change

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tulsa is full of street names where there is a St., Pl., Ct., and sometimes also an Av. They are usually consecutive, in other words the next street south of Something St. is Something Pl.
Yep. I'm looking at houses in the Tulsa area, and I'm running into that. The program the realtor uses isn't particularly good with the St vs Pl issue, usually putting the map marker on the wrong street. F'rinstance, if the house is at 1234 139th Pl, the program will often put the pin on 1234 139th St, which is usually the next street over.

Also, Tulsa is bad about having numbered streets intersect with numbered streets, but they ain't a stitch on Columbus, Mississippi. Columbus actually has a grid of streets that are numbered streets intersecting with numbered avenues, so you could literally go to the corner of 2nd St and 2nd Ave.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This will be a big issue with the postal deliveries, UPS and FEDEX. Look to see lots of foul-ups on deliveries.

And, how will they decide which streets get named? I can see something where a major street, say May Avenue in OKC that goes all the way across the city will stay as May, but how to decide what is done if a street name isn't a major thoroughfare.

Then, where I live, the same road has two or three different street names, depending on whether one is looking at the navigation system on our SUV or on Google Maps or seeing the street name itself on the street sign.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think it is just a way to limit the liability for when the cops come and tear your house apart and/or kill you because they were sent to Boogerhook Avenue instead of Boogerhook Boulevard, or 49th Street East instead of 49th Street West, etc.

It seams that the high tech world we live in can't keep up with the days-gone-by tech of reading street signs. Somebody wrote a program that can't cope, so everything else must change to make it a viable program.

Woody

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Part of that fiasco in Houston was the name of the street . BUT, one was Harding street and the other was Harden.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And, how will they decide which streets get named?
I don't know about inside city limits, but in rural areas it's done in a county commissioner meeting IIRC.

NOTE: They do NOT notify you ahead of time, but you can find out what the name is going to be before it's final. I'd call the courthouse and find out who to contact.

A friend found out they were re-naming his road to "Laughing Crow Trail."

He got folks on the road to sign a complaint/petition, and they got a different name that wasn't quite so "laughable."

Ours was re-named for one family that lived on this road. If I'd known beforehand, we could have gotten a different/shorter name.

Also, beware of family names. Our signs kept disappearing for about 2 years. I'm guessing most of the teenagers in that family finally have one. Probably happen again when the younger kids get older. :/

Just my two cents. :drunk2:

Last edited:

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome to the club, we have had 3 addresses thanks to 911 since we bought this place.

Oh ya, it will take a year for all the gps maps to get caught up and after about two years the post office quits automatically forwarding your mail.

I had the same thing happen from 2007-09 in Osage County, NW of Sand Springs. The road name never changed, only the number of the address. The E911 implementation was not a smooth experience, especially with the interfaces you mention. I moved to a new house in a relatively new neighborhood in 2009 and it was several years before all the mapping systems caught up with the location. I received calls regularly on deliveries gone astray by Google Maps.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also, Tulsa is bad about having numbered streets intersect with numbered streets

It's not bad once you learn the system. Pl. and St. and Ct. run east <-> west. They exist on the entire south half of town (south of Admiral) and north of the named east-west streets on the north half of town north of Apache (the 2nd mile north of Admiral). For example 71st Street or 36th Street North (if "north" isn't named, it's assumed to be the street on the south side of town).

Numbered Avenues run north <-> south (for example, 33rd West Avenue or 145th East Avenue). They exist east and west of the named north-south streets west of Zenith and east of Sheridan (though the thoroughfares of Memorial, Mingo, and Garnett are are named, the residential streets between them are numbered).

In all directions, the residential named streets are all alphabetical, and have a numerical "block" value assigned to them that corresponds to the grid system here. In a few weeks, you get really good at working the coordinates and with an address. Not much different getting around the the majority of OKC proper or Moore.

But you're right that realtor sites seem to confuse the streets, places, and courts.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
E911 did the address thing for 911 a few years ago. It screwed up everything. I've lived in my house for decades. I ain't new to the neighborhood.
When they tried mapping it out, my house became 100. It's been 102 for 60 years, but now it's 100. You would think it's not big deal but my mail still goes to my neighbors on occasions and some gps can find me, others cant.

Latest posts

Top Bottom