Edmond Home Explosion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDoubleD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One explanation given for the devastation is that these type leaks go in the walls and stay there building up over time until it a spark ignites the gas-like plugging in a coffee pot.

The indicator being the walls are destroyed and insulation is blown all over. Where as if the room filled with gas and ignited the entire wall would remain intact and just be blown outward.

Of course the source of that info was an anecdotal comment of the helicopter pilot flying head, describing a personal experience involving a family member down in Texas..

Look at the wreckage it is easy to accept that. Something had to get between the core of the fireplace and its decorative exterior and blow it off. Same with walls, destroy for inside out.

The burns he said would be not from fire, rather from the flash. flash-burns. I have seen some of those myself when a rail car of propane and my friend was burned a mile away. He was sitting in a police car blocking the street and had the pattern of the expanded metal cage burned into the top of his shoulder and the back of his head. The part where the blast was shaded by the metal, not burned. Where flash passed through open metal, burned little diamonds in him. This was in Kingman, AZ back in the 70's.

Anecdotal so might not be correct, but sounds reasonable.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Just heard on the radio that the inspector said it was a home made gas log igniter that leaked? Also said that such devices are illegal.
My shop is in north central Edmond. Three of us were having a cup of coffee when while building rattled. We thought some one or something had run into the building.
So sad for the family. Prayers going up.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Our daughter is in NW Edmond, about ten miles as the crow flies from this house. She also said she thought someone had run into their house.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
yup. NG just kind of floats through the air but it certainly rises. Mercaptan is introduced to create the smell.
Years ago one of the kids around Ponca had a parent that worked at the ONG where they introduced the mercaptan to the NG. It takes just a few parts per million to create the smell to alert us. Those kids got a bottle of it and drove around the Conoco refinery and parts of town dumping it on the street. It was almost mass panic. The Refinery shut down all operations, emergency services was called out along with all LEO and fire.
Took a couple hours to figure out that it was not a NG leak.
Wasn't you was it? :D

Yeppers...

Mercaptan is introduced into both natural gas and propane. I used to haul propane in a transport and would see them introduce the mercaptan into the tanks, depending on their size. Sadly, not everyone can smell it. While I could then, after 41 years of smoking. dealing with mercaptan, and dealing with Anhydrous Ammonia, my sense of smell is pretty much gone. On occasion, I might be able to smell a skunk.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We had propane at our place. When the plumbers were out, we had enough tubing to allow for a log lighter. They said that they couldn’t hook it up as it was illegal/against code.
Said because of propane’s weight, that if it ever leaked, it’d be down low and when we fired off the igniter or turned something on, boom.
This was over 10 years ago that is was not allowed. I’m going out on a limb here and guessing that someone hooked this up against code.
Poor family and terrible results.

Latest posts

Top Bottom