Effing skunk

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

de-evoproject

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good way to get the smell off of animals is a tomato juice bath. No i'm not joking. it works, had my family dog when i was in HS get sprayed 3 times (little chihuahua just isn't scared of anything) and usually a couple of tomato juice baths and the smell is almost gone.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh, my ... I got sick to my stomach just reading this ... Skunk smell is the ONE thing that I simply cannot handle. The slightest whiff sends me running to puke ... blah!!

If that had happened to me and GC we would just have to move out ... I cannot imagine ... blah!! I got no tips and tricks to help, just a TON of sympathy for you. Blah!!

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So... I need some skunk hunting advice.

I have one. It seems to like to make its presence known most evenings, and some mornings. I've seen it once, but it had vanished by the time I got my gun.

I was thinking about sitting on the front porch tonight in wait.

Rabbitcreekok

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I live in the country and skunks are just a way of life. Our old house was built on a pier and bean foundation and several skunks set up housekeeping under the floor. One night we heard them fighting below our bed, but they quieted down until about 2 am.

Then they started again and sprayed. They might as well have been under our bed. In spite of it being 20 degrees outside, we opened our windows and let the wind blow through the house and just turned up the electric blanket. It took 10 days to 2 weeks for the smell to totally go away.

To get rid of the skunks, I set a live trap at the hole where they entered the crawl space and tied a 20' rope to the trap. Each morning, I would check the trap. Usually there was a skunk in the trap. I would drag the trap out to the pasture and release the door and wait until the skunk found his way out of the trap and send him to skunk heaven. If I remember correctly, I sent 17 to skunk heaven that winter.

Don't shoot a skunk near your house. I learned this the hard way also. You might as well invite him inside and then shoot him because the fragrance will come through the walls. I would run them away from the house by yelling at them and shining a light on them. When they were far enough away, I shot them with a .410 shotgun. It is hard to use sights at night, I know because I tried the .22 route and missed a lot.

Remember that almost all skunks are carriers of rabies, even if they don't exhibit the disease, so be careful. If you see a skunk wandering around in the middle of the day, he most likely has active rabies and will come after you.

I won't even get into the story of how the Possums got into the house.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I live in the country and skunks are just a way of life. Our old house was built on a pier and bean foundation and several skunks set up housekeeping under the floor. One night we heard them fighting below our bed, but they quieted down until about 2 am.

Then they started again and sprayed. They might as well have been under our bed. In spite of it being 20 degrees outside, we opened our windows and let the wind blow through the house and just turned up the electric blanket. It took 10 days to 2 weeks for the smell to totally go away.

To get rid of the skunks, I set a live trap at the hole where they entered the crawl space and tied a 20' rope to the trap. Each morning, I would check the trap. Usually there was a skunk in the trap. I would drag the trap out to the pasture and release the door and wait until the skunk found his way out of the trap and send him to skunk heaven. If I remember correctly, I sent 17 to skunk heaven that winter.

Don't shoot a skunk near your house. I learned this the hard way also. You might as well invite him inside and then shoot him because the fragrance will come through the walls. I would run them away from the house by yelling at them and shining a light on them. When they were far enough away, I shot them with a .410 shotgun. It is hard to use sights at night, I know because I tried the .22 route and missed a lot.

Remember that almost all skunks are carriers of rabies, even if they don't exhibit the disease, so be careful. If you see a skunk wandering around in the middle of the day, he most likely has active rabies and will come after you.

I won't even get into the story of how the Possums got into the house.

I didn't know that about the rabies. I was at work the other day, sittin in my cool company owned ford focus station wagon, looked up and there was a skunk just hangin out on the walkway. I waited a few minutes and then finally honked. He started walkin my way and then just took off running back to his hole. I was about to crap my pants cause I knew I was about to get sprayed.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't know that about the rabies. I was at work the other day, sittin in my cool company owned ford focus station wagon, looked up and there was a skunk just hangin out on the walkway. I waited a few minutes and then finally honked. He started walkin my way and then just took off running back to his hole. I was about to crap my pants cause I knew I was about to get sprayed.

State Dept of Health Fact Sheet

2010 Confirmed Cases of Rabies in Oklahoma by County

Month by Month Rabies Graph 2007-2010

Speaking of skunks, my dogs recently killed a skunk and dang near ate the whole thing. Any reason to worry about rabies?

Depends on how long ago "recently" was.

From the above linked Fact Sheet:

"Skunks are the major animal reservoir of rabies in our state. When the skunk population increases (in six to eight year cycles), a rise in the number of animal rabies cases usually follows. This population cycle can sometimes result in as many as 240 cases of animal rabies in one year. Rabies is identified each year in a small number of bats, horses, cattle, cats, dogs, and other mammals as well.

The time interval between the exposure to the rabies virus and onset of the first symptoms can vary depending on several factors. These factors include how ill the animal was at the time of the exposure, the severity of exposure, the place on the body where the exposure occurred, and the age of the animal. For cats, dogs, and horses, this time interval is generally between three to eight weeks. However, symptoms may start as early as nine days or as long as six months after exposure to the rabies virus. For humans, the time interval is typically four to twelve weeks."

Latest posts

Top Bottom